LaunchBox Community Forums

NAS Install

luckyforeal

Hello, I have all my roms and image files located on a NAS. I have Launchbox installed perfectly on one PC with all folders pointing to the NAS for access. I'd like to do this for another PC. Is there a way to easily transfer the settings, or at least point the new LB to my NAS? Currently, I only see either a fresh install or go through and change each and every folder directory as the solution. I tried saving the database from the complete install and restoring on the new, but that just provided a shell of the install without changing the directory. Does anyone have a similar setup or know how I can accomplish this? Thanks!

4 hours ago, luckyforeal said:

Hello, I have all my roms and image files located on a NAS. I have Launchbox installed perfectly on one PC with all folders pointing to the NAS for access. I'd like to do this for another PC. Is there a way to easily transfer the settings, or at least point the new LB to my NAS? Currently, I only see either a fresh install or go through and change each and every folder directory as the solution. I tried saving the database from the complete install and restoring on the new, but that just provided a shell of the install without changing the directory. Does anyone have a similar setup or know how I can accomplish this? Thanks!

Can just copy the Launchbox folder to the new PC, as long as the NAS path is still the same from there it will just work. I would however recommend NOT keeping images on the NAS, that will hugely slow down Launchbox as its accessing images all the time, and often multiple at a time, thats gonna be real slow over a network.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Can just copy the Launchbox folder to the new PC, as long as the NAS path is still the same from there it will just work. I would however recommend NOT keeping images on the NAS, that will hugely slow down Launchbox as its accessing images all the time, and often multiple at a time, thats gonna be real slow over a network.

Thanks for the prompt response. I copied the entire Launchbox folder from old PC, and replaced the Launchbox folder on the new PC. When I open LB on the new PC, I can see all the titles, but when attempting to click on a game, I receive a message that the ROM cannot be found. Is there a step I am missing?

Take a look at the path that Launchbox is looking for. 

Press CTRL+E on a game that is not opening and click on Launching on the right side. Verify that the path is valid on the new PC.

Another thing to look out for is the emulators need to be in the same location on both PCs. 

• Like 1

@luckyforeal USe symbolic Links.  I do exactly this... However you will have to do it for every emulator that is on your computer.  Years ago when i set this up I found it to run really slow only because of the images folder.  Currently I have images on the computers (backup and synced using rclone to all other computers), and everything else on the NAS.  Here are my files.  You will need to run them form host computer and change all of the directories to match yours.  In most cases I tried to use the %appdata% type of shortcut.  There is also a reg file listed in here that will move your dolphin main folder you run that before running the .bat file for the symbolic links.  If you use these CTRL-H will be your friend to change all destination folders at 1 time.  I have other emulators done also so ask if you need them in PM

Here are a couple of pictures of my drives the first one is my Videogames folder on my nas, the second is my backup folder inside that videogames folder, and the third is my c:\games folder which is where my launchbox and some emulators are installed at.

Symbolic Links 2021.7z

Videogames.JPG

Backup.JPG

Games.JPG

Edited by Aevans0001
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 10:53 PM, luckyforeal said:

Thanks for the prompt response. I copied the entire Launchbox folder from old PC, and replaced the Launchbox folder on the new PC. When I open LB on the new PC, I can see all the titles, but when attempting to click on a game, I receive a message that the ROM cannot be found. Is there a step I am missing?

I had this same issue. For some reason even though LB is portable, when I moved its folder to another drive, it broke the path link to roms stored outside of LB folder. Example...

D:\Games\roms\game1.7z

After I moved LB folder to new drive, paths for all roms where broken as shown in LB as...

..\Games\roms\game1.7z

As you can see LB removed the drive letter, but this is easy to fix. Open the .xml within LaunchBox\Data\Platforms folder, and use find and replace to add drive letter back.

Edited by jackhulk
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 6:36 AM, erebus44 said:

Take a look at the path that Launchbox is looking for. 

Press CTRL+E on a game that is not opening and click on Launching on the right side. Verify that the path is valid on the new PC.

Another thing to look out for is the emulators need to be in the same location on both PCs. 

On 11/14/2021 at 8:17 AM, Aevans0001 said:

@luckyforeal USe symbolic Links.  I do exactly this... However you will have to do it for every emulator that is on your computer.  Years ago when i set this up I found it to run really slow only because of the images folder.  Currently I have images on the computers (backup and synced using rclone to all other computers), and everything else on the NAS.  Here are my files.  You will need to run them form host computer and change all of the directories to match yours.  In most cases I tried to use the %appdata% type of shortcut.  There is also a reg file listed in here that will move your dolphin main folder you run that before running the .bat file for the symbolic links.  If you use these CTRL-H will be your friend to change all destination folders at 1 time.  I have other emulators done also so ask if you need them in PM

Here are a couple of pictures of my drives the first one is my Videogames folder on my nas, the second is my backup folder inside that videogames folder, and the third is my c:\games folder which is where my launchbox and some emulators are installed at.

Symbolic Links 2021.7z 3.76 kB · 0 downloads

Videogames.JPG

Backup.JPG

Games.JPG

4 hours ago, jackhulk said:

I had this same issue. For some reason even though LB is portable, when I moved its folder to another drive, it broke the path link to roms stored outside of LB folder. Example...

D:\Games\roms\game1.7z

After I moved LB folder to new drive, paths for all roms where broken as shown in LB as...

..\Games\roms\game1.7z

As you can see LB removed the drive letter, but this is easy to fix. Open the .xml within LaunchBox\Data\Platforms folder, and use find and replace to add drive letter back.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Turns out after reading your answers, there were some issues in my original install that I wanted to correct, so I just ended up doing a fresh install. But moving forward, I now know what to look out for when I decide to move this install to the previous location. Thanks again!