LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox UI wigged out and now is shaded, can't click, unusable

ImANewbie

This was strange... I was using LaunchBox 12.3 on my Win10 machine .. working fine ... it did the auto-update to 12.4 and then my xbox-like controller started acting weird as if I was holding stick in a stuck direction (but it wasnt), screen UI jumped around and now the User Interface of Launchbox is shaded (see pic), no menus, long side buttons .. I can not click on anything but I can kind of scroll the game titles with the controller but cant click on or activate anything .... I rolled back to 12.3 .. same thing .. rolled back to 12.1 .... samed thing ... As if the UI display settings are being saved and not wiped so the screen is still shaded and unusable ... BigBox works fine, but I can not get past this issue with LaunchBox ... PLEASE HELP! 

20211123_131258.jpg

22 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Your Settings.xml is corrupt.

Go into your \Backups folder and open one of the latest backup zips. Inside there get the Setting.xml file and copy into your \Data folder overriding the corrupt one.

I'm new so of course I can't find where the 'backup zips' are held .. Can you tell me where the folder is?? .. Thanks.

29 minutes ago, ImANewbie said:

In the /Backups folder (within LaunchBox folder) there are only .xml files for every game .. I do NOT see any zip files .... 

Do you have Backups turned on in your LB settings?

You can always just delete the Setting.xml file from the \Data folder. It will reset some of your settings to default. So you may have to redo a few things. It does not affect games and emulators. Mainly the LB appearance.

I'm guessing I do not have backups turned on in LB, so I will check that .... I did find older  settings.xml backups from 2019 and I used one of them and it seemed to work because I can see the full window and manipulate all menus 

5 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Do you have Backups turned on in your LB settings?

You can always just delete the Setting.xml file from the \Data folder. It will reset some of your settings to default. So you may have to redo a few things. It does not affect games and emulators. Mainly the LB appearance.

• 1 year later...

Thank god for this thread, same thing just happened to me. I just bought a new controller (8Bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth) and experienced the exact same behaviour as OP described.

This first happened in bigbox where I went to launch a game, and it cycled through my other systems and attempted to launch/quit a few other games before I panicked and unplugged all devices. Then on testing in launchbox, the above behaviour (Only starts when launching a game).

I'm curious as to whats going on here and if there's a solution to it?

EDIT: Just tested again in launchbox, exact behaviour, except I tabbed out before any damage could be done and if I tab back into launchbox, I can see my cursor going for the bottom left corner. I'm on Windows 11, launchbox 13.5

Edited by Shadax