LaunchBox Community Forums

Different LEDBlinky Events? (Intel vs. AMD) (Resolved)

Reehmicks

Hi,

I'm trying to use a home rolled LEDBlinky application as a workaround so that I can capture events to rotate a monitor. It was going well until I ran into an odd issue.

My arcade machine uses an AMD cpu, but I'm doing my dev work on an Intel (both Windows 7 x64).

For basic testing I was just running the BigBox executable over the network on my Intel machine instead of walking up and down 2 flights of stairs. 😃

When I start BigBox on the Intel and walk through a basic test pattern everything works and I get the LEDBlinky events I expect.

9 MAME
8 Platforms
9 MAME Platforms
9 MAME Platforms
8 MAME
9 005 MAME
9 MAME MAME
8 Platforms
9 Pinball Platforms
8 Pinball
9 ACDC Back In Black (Stern 2012) Pinball
9 Pinball Pinball
8 Platforms
8 Main_Menu
8 Options
8 Main_Menu
8 Platforms
9 MAME Platforms
9 MAME Platforms
8 Main_Menu
9 MAME Main_Menu
8 Main_Menu

But when I finally moved to the AMD machine to start real testing, nothing was working. That's when I noticed that I wasn't getting any of the events that I was expecting anymore or even the correct event numbers.

7 Platforms
7 MAME
9 1on1gov MAME
7 Pinball
9 ACDC Back In Black (Stern 2012) Pinball

(7 isn't even an LEDBlinky event...)

The machines are both windows 7 (64 bit) with relatively the same service packs/updates.

I made sure that the motherboard firmware was up to date in case it was some weird cpu issue.

I've tried upgrading to the latest beta 12.5 and even downgraded back to 11.2 with the same results.

I updated the .net core to the latest.

I even just finished a reinstall of Windows and still get the same results.

My only theory (as per the topic) is this has something to do with Intel vs. AMD.

Has anyone else seen anything like this or have any ideas for things I can try? Is this just straight up an issue with Launchbox?

I was really hoping to get this working for a Christmas party, but it seems like I'm hitting wall after wall.

That's a really strange issue.

I would suggest using the LEDBlinky.exe manually from a command prompt and sending the commands yourself on each CPU and see if the results are the same. This would at least tell you whether the issue is LB related or not.

My guess is LB just calls the same LEDBlinky.exe executable and the problem lies elsewhere.

34 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

That's a really strange issue.

I would suggest using the LEDBlinky.exe manually from a command prompt and sending the commands yourself on each CPU and see if the results are the same. This would at least tell you whether the issue is LB related or not.

My guess is LB just calls the same LEDBlinky.exe executable and the problem lies elsewhere.

Thanks for the response.

I'm not actually using LEDBlinky, I'm just using the LaunchBox feature LEDBlinky.  I have a small utility called LEDblinky.exe. All it does is take what LaunchBox/BigBox sends and saves it to a text file, giving me the output above.

However, as I looked at my outputs, I realized that they weren't the same (005 vs. 1on1gov) which made me dig into the Data files of LaunchBox.

I thought the Data folders were identical on my dev machine/arcade, but they actually weren't.

Even more digging led me to the Settings.xml file.. I found that my dev machine had the 'Advanced LED Blinky' options enabled, where my arcade machine has it disabled.

Once I enabled it on my arcade machine, it's syncing up again.

Looks like typing it out helped me troubleshoot it. lol. Though, I'm still concerned that having it disabled shouldn't have given me the wildy different results that it did.  Maybe I'll write up an issue for someone to look at. 😃

• Reehmicks changed the title to Different LEDBlinky Events? (Intel vs. AMD) (Resolved)
48 minutes ago, Reehmicks said:

I'm not actually using LEDBlinky, I'm just using the LaunchBox feature LEDBlinky.  I have a small utility called LEDblinky.exe. All it does is take what LaunchBox/BigBox sends and saves it to a text file, giving me the output above.

Forgot you mentioned that. I intercepted LEDBlinky like that as well once when I was implementing my on marquee support.

51 minutes ago, Reehmicks said:

Looks like typing it out helped me troubleshoot it. lol. Though, I'm still concerned that having it disabled shouldn't have given me the wildy different results that it did.  Maybe I'll write up an issue for someone to look at. 😃

That's definitely a new option. Not sure exactly what additionally functionality that is adding.