LaunchBox Community Forums

Where do the the Donkey Kong sounds go when using MAME 2003 in Retroarch??

pgathriller

So I want to play Donkey Kong in MAME 2003 so that it saves my high scores

I have the Donkey Kong rom from the MAME 2003 non-merged rom set in my ROMs folder (LaunchBox > Emulator > RetroArch-Win64 > system > ROMs > MAME 2003 Roms)

And I have the necessary dkong.zip file of sounds scattered into multiple locations cause I just kept copy/pasting it all over to see what would work (so far nothing)

Where do these sound files go if I'm using MAME 2003 via RetroArch??

I've seen a couple different answers online and they also seem to be for folks using RetroPi or just straight MAME 2003 so can't find a direct answer

The dkong.zip file containing the sounds is currently in:

LaunchBox > Emulator > RetroArch-Win64 > system > mame2003 > samples

LaunchBox > Emulator > RetroArch-Win64 > system > mame2003 > samples > dkong

LaunchBox > Emulator > RetroArch-Win64 > samples

LaunchBox > Emulator > RetroArch-Win64 > samples  > dkong

LaunchBox > Emulator > RetroArch-Win64 > system > ROMs > MAME 2003 Roms > samples

LaunchBox > Emulator > RetroArch-Win64 > system > ROMs > MAME 2003 Roms > samples > dkong

But none of those locations seem to be correct -- any other location suggestions?

Are you 100% sure you are using the mame2003 core and not the mame2003-plus core?

Retroarch -> system -> mame2003 -> samples should be the right location for that core.

Are you also 100% sure the sound sample zip is complete? There are a lot of zips out there that are wrong, or don't match the mame version they say they do.

My dkong sample for mame2003-plus (which is very close) contains 5 samples in the zip.