LaunchBox Community Forums

VPX: DMD not showing if table launched via LB/BB

PiperCalls

Looking for any clues on how to fix this. So I have VPX setup as an emulator and all tables are launching fine, fullscreen, working and exit button works. The issue I'm having is that if I launch any table via LB/BB, the playfield is over the DMD (I'm running all on 1 screen). I can Alt+Tab and get to the DMD but ofc I want to have the DMD show on top automagically. If I launch any table directly via VP, the DMD is on top like it is supposed to be so I'm thinking it's just a LB/BB timing thing. I feel like I had this solved when I first added VPX as an emulator but it has re-reared it's ugly head. Any assistance is appreciated.

Update: Ok, so it appears to be sporadic. Sometimes the DMD will show in front, sometimes it won't when launched via LB/BB. 

Piper

image.thumb.png.a675c0fe933e7956eeccc7a0e3cae39f.png

Maybe change this to true (default I believe is false) if it's not already?   [../Visual/ Pinball/VPinMAME/]

image.thumb.png.385991c43887e16ddebb83dadd7f2a13.png

Mine was set to false, and don't have issues (though I probably will NOW that I've said something. lol).  But I do recall, when starting a new (to me) table, the DMD would sometimes appear behind the table.  So I'd Alt-Tab to the DMD, click and 'wiggle' it a little bit in place, then unclick. (ya, sounds funny. But it seems to do a somethin')  Click the table (set focus).  DMD would remain on top.  Exit the table. Restart the table, and wha la!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PiperCalls said:

I thought the dmddevice.ini was just for separate backglass

The Dot Matrix Display is the that little DMD window thingy (how's that for tech jargon? lol).  The backglass is the one that uses the b2s backglass server.  They both get the info to display [typically] from the rom file.  Though I think the DMD reads it directly and the backglass has to extrapolate from it (maybe that's where the 'server' comes into play??).  Or something like that.  Regardless, DMD tiny. Backglass big. :) 

Let me know if that wiggle trick works for you.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2021 at 2:31 PM, PiperCalls said:

ahh ok, that's a good little trick to know. i'm curious though I thought the dmddevice.ini was just for separate backglass, not for dmd over the top on a single screen like i'm doing...but maybe i was mistaken about that.

Just out of curiosity do you have "force fullscreen exclusive mode" checked in VPX graphic settings? If so, try turning off directdraw for each of the table roms.  This fixed the DMD not showing on top im my case. 

You can change this option in the registry for each rom at HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software - Freeware - VisualPinMame - "ROMNAME"

Find the ddraw option for each rom and set it from 1 to 0. 

Then try running the table a couple times and see if that fixes the problem.

I am running exclusive fullscreen mode with directdraw off for all my pinmame roms and launchbox/bigbox startup screens turned off. In my case I get the best table performance in fullscreen exclusive mode and all my tables work properly.

Edited by twobucks

• 1 month later...