LaunchBox Community Forums

Portable version of your main build

iPenguin02

My main build takes up about 16 TBs. I wanted to create a portable version that fits on a small external hard drive, maybe 5 TBs. Was wondering how everyone else is handling this.

I'm hoping its as easy as copying all folders except the roms folder which would only contain selected games. And LB would only show the artwork for the games in the roms folders. Not hoping to have to start a whole new build. 

6 hours ago, iPenguin02 said:

I'm hoping its as easy as copying all folders except the roms folder which would only contain selected games.

If you copy all the folders except the roms folder(s), and then copy only select rom folders and select roms; start your portable copy of LaunchBox and select ToolsScan, and from there you can select Remove ROMs for all Platforms or for just the Platform you're currently in.

image.thumb.png.25c174c36170f4b8151f4cdea3dd5230.png

After that, you can select Clean Up Media (right below Scan) to then remove the images and videos for the non existent (removed) games.

This assumes your roms are located on the same drive as LaunchBox for you Main Build and your portable build, respectively. i.e.

Main Build:
D:\LaunchBox\
D:\LaunchBox\Emulators\Retroarch\
D:\LaunchBox\Games\Atari 2600\
(alt)
D:\Emulators\Retroarch\
D:\Roms\Atari 2600\

Portable Build:
T:\LaunchBox\
T:\LaunchBox\Emulators\Retroarch\
T:\LaunchBox\Games\Atari 2600\
(alt)
T:\Emulators\Retroarch\
T:\Roms\Atari 2600\

Note that the PC you plug your portable drive into will need to have to proper .NET Core installed (for LaunchBox) and not all emulators are portable.  Most are, or can be made to be.

• 1 month later...

Personally, and while it's not exactly what you are setting out to do, I decided to go another route that felt like it gave me the same results. (more or less).

I just installed Parsec on my Computer (8tb, personally) and installed Parsec on my Android Phone and Work Computer.
Then I grabbed a Razer JungleCat (any phone controller would work).

I now have my *entire* build everywhere, so long as there is WiFi.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I am doing something similar to this, but for my fulltime build. I maintain a server at a location with all my storage and fiber internet. All my roms are located there, I used a i7 high powered intel NUC as my Launchbox PC and set BigBox to run on windows boot, so no Windows GUI displays at all.

I have a VPN connection that starts when the PC boots automatically and my roms exist on my network drive. So far I havent had any issues. Even playstation 1 games load pretty quickly. You would do the same thing on a phone with VPN connection if you wanted. But obviously data usage could be a problem with large games.