LaunchBox Community Forums

Controller automation 'breaks' for some emulators?

cscottbrown

Hi there. I have a Big Box install going. I've recently revamped everything to eliminate Steam, so controllers are connected to Windows (via Bluetooth) and then that's it: it should go directly to BB or the emulator, depending on what's active.

For Retroarch cores and Dolphin, this works great. I can navigate Launchbox with my 8bitdo SN30 Pro + (in Switch Pro mode), open a game, play the game, exit the game (through a controller mapped hotkey into the BB Pause Screen), and then navigate BB to find something else to play. It's beautiful!

However, this DOES NOT work for Citra, Cemu, and Yuzu. When launching a game with one of these emulators using the same setup as previously described, I can play the game fine but can't exit. If I use the controller mapping hotkey I have set in BB, nothing happens. To exit the game, I need to use my keyboard. I can either hit Esc and exit the emulator or hit "Q" and get to the Paus Screen. If I go the Pause Screen route, my controller doesn't work there. I need to use the arrow keys on the keyboard to get to "Exit Game." Regardless of the method, when I'm back in BB, my controller doesn't work at all! I need to turn it off and turn it back on again to re-gain access to BB.

As noted, this only happens with Citra, Cemu, and Yuzu. Other emulators work just fine (so far, anyway; I'm not done adding systems).

I have turned on/off lots of settings to see if I can narrow down the problem (Pause Screen, Startup Screen, Use All Controllers, etc.) but nothing changes. The only thing I can think of is that these three emulators "steal" the controller and then don't give it back. I know that's a silly way to describe it, but that's what seems to be happening.

If anyone has any insight here, it would be most helpful! I've tried Googling as much as I can, but I'm going a bit mad now.

Just curious, i use to use 8bitdo controller b4 i built a arcade panel. Why are you conecting it via switch mode? There should be a mode for android as well as a pc mode, which should be whats used. Pcs generally get along with xbox controllers alot more then switch controllers. So try the other mode and let me know how that goes