LaunchBox Community Forums

Loading images and videos is extremely slow and makes those game views, particularly wheel, unusable.

sage2050

The lag is inherent to the app and is present on all devices, it's less of an issue when using touch because it's not loading media for every game as you scroll through. When using a controller scrolling through the list completely tanks performance. Most notable on the Shield TV, one of the most powerful Android devices out there.

My pixel 6 is running Android 12, the shield is running Android 11.

Edited by sage2050

6 hours ago, sage2050 said:

The lag is inherent to the app and is present on all devices, it's less of an issue when using touch because it's not loading media for every game as you scroll through. When using a controller scrolling through the list completely tanks performance. Most notable on the Shield TV, one of the most powerful Android devices out there.

My pixel 6 is running Android 12, the shield is running Android 11.

The Shield TV is not one of the most powerful Android devices out there...not even close. Just to clarify that.

Regardless, I'm wondering if your experience is not normal, because I honestly don't know what you're referring to here. I have a relatively smooth experience with the wheels on all the devices I own, including a Shield TV, my Samsung Galaxy S10+, and the latest Amazon Fire HD 10. What specifically are you referring to with lag?

apologize for the sound of my dog eating off camera.

you can see how launchbox hitches up every time you go to a new game and it loads in the assets. it also starts to slow down the whole menu - by the time i get down to uniracers it really chugs trying to go back up the list. A fast scroll seems to work fine (because it's not loading assets until you stop).

Hmm, yeah, that is definitely a much worse experience than what we're seeing in our testing. Odd. Some ideas that could be causing it:

• Where have you installed the LaunchBox folder? Is it on a really slow SD card, USB, or network device?
  • Do you have an Internet connection on the device?
  • Have you tried turning off the auto-download missing media option?

launchbox folder and data is all local, roms are stored on network. device has internet connection. I haven't tried turning off auto-download, i'll give that a shot tonight. I'll also try to get a screen capture on the p6, it's pretty similar.

12 minutes ago, sage2050 said:

launchbox folder and data is all local, roms are stored on network. device has internet connection. I haven't tried turning off auto-download, i'll give that a shot tonight. I'll also try to get a screen capture on the p6, it's pretty similar.

Are you exporting from your desktop collection? What's strange is that you're getting the same slow experience on multiple devices, but we're not seeing it on any of them. So there has to be some kind of unique thing for you, that is also the same across all your devices. All I can figure is that it's data-related at that point.

Having the ROMs over the network should not be cause for slowness like this. My ROMs are also over the network on my Shield device.

• 3 weeks later...