LaunchBox Community Forums

Sort option in Ready to Import screen?

bombatomba77

So I admit it has been awhile, but in the last version I used regularly (11.7 or 11.8) at the Ready to Import screen in the Import ROMS File Wizard you used to be able to sort any of the available categories (title, file, extension, etc.) but right now I cannot, and I have no idea if this is due to my laptop being flaky or what.  It was very useful when importing folders, as I could quickly sort by extension and weed out the unwanted files quickly.  This is in contrast to importing ROM files and mp4 files in the same batch, and them being saved as videos that play out in Retroarch when you open them.  This also saved a lot of time with bin, cue, and m3u files as well.

As I wrote I do have a flaky laptop, but it is my only mobile Windows box I own (and thus the only one I am able to use).  If I am in error and this was taken out I apologize.  Not trying to circumvent any forum rules or anything.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2022-03-04 133832.jpg

Edited by bombatomba77

1 hour ago, bombatomba77 said:

So I admit it has been awhile, but in the last version I used regularly (11.7 or 11.8) at the Ready to Import screen in the Import ROMS File Wizard you used to be able to sort any of the available categories (title, file, extension, etc.) but right now I cannot, and I have no idea if this is due to my laptop being flaky or what.  It was very useful when importing folders, as I could quickly sort by extension and weed out the unwanted files quickly.  This is in contrast to importing ROM files and mp4 files in the same batch, and them being saved as videos that play out in Retroarch when you open them.  This also saved a lot of time with bin, cue, and m3u files as well.

As I wrote I do have a flaky laptop, but it is my only mobile Windows box I own (and thus the only one I am able to use).  If I am in error and this was taken out I apologize.  Not trying to circumvent any forum rules or anything.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2022-03-04 133832.jpg

While not exactly what you want, why not weed these out on the first page of the import wizard when it asks you which files to import? The file explorer allows you to sort by file type, or you can search for a specific file type.

Alternatively, you could just open a file explorer, get the correct file types sorted or filtered, highlight the games and drag and drop them directly over LaunchBox in order to start the import process.

From the way you are explaining it, it sounds like you are first telling LaunchBox to import a ton of non-game files, then at the end of the wizard, you want to clean it up.

That is essentially what I am doing now (though just sorting in an open window and dragging them to LaunchBox).  Previously I was importing entire folders at a time, which not only contained ROM files but also .txt files, .dat files, and a ton of MP4.  I got used to this mainly because using the import wizard was the only way to add games on Linux, and simply sorting, clicking and dragging could net me results very quickly.  But, I like this "new" way (and adding via files as you suggested) better so I think I will stick with that.

I have to admit, it was quite a surprise to see Retroarch playing videos instead of games after adding the first few folders.  I have no idea if this is a bug in LaunchBox (mixing these files nets this result) it was a little confusing and fairly funny to see Retroarch doing that.  I had no idea that was even a thing with that emulator package.

Edited by bombatomba77

13 hours ago, bombatomba77 said:

I have to admit, it was quite a surprise to see Retroarch playing videos instead of games after adding the first few folders.  I have no idea if this is a bug in LaunchBox (mixing these files nets this result) it was a little confusing and fairly funny to see Retroarch doing that.  I had no idea that was even a thing with that emulator package.

Launchbox is file agnostic and doesnt have any sort of list saying what file types are roms and which are not. So if you are importing a bunch of files with the same name, but a different extension, then there is no telling which file type will end up as the "default" rom when all those files are "combined" into one game entry in Launchbox. So that is why you may have had videos as roms, and retroarch does have a video player built in.