LaunchBox Community Forums

Create a Vertical Playlist from existing MAME imported ROMS

Wally

Hi,

I have a full list MAME imported into Launchbox.

I read about the new Filter capabilities where we can have Vertical arcades to be recognised.

Since I have a rotating monitor and it would be very handy if I could create a playlist with all Vertical MAME games (BUT without deleting and re-importing everything MAME).

Is there a way?

Thank you

Thanx!

I am getting this error though when I hit Create

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 12.8
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void AddPlaylist()
Source:  Create Arcade Playlists

at LB_ToolsMenu.Main_Form.AddPlaylist()
   at LB_ToolsMenu.Main_Form.button5_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Recent Log:

5:08:03 μμ Exception

Ahh.... that's a shortcoming of the plugin.  It can only create a Playlist from a Platform (vs "Platform Category") and the Platform has to be named "Arcade".

I personally don't use Platform Categories so I'm not real familiar with how they work.  I'll see if later this week I can dig into it some and see if it's even possible to create a Playlist from a Platform Category.

• Like 1

I know right clicking the main arcade set should give you the option to create the missing playlists. I recall "vertically oriented games" as one of the options when mine was recently rebuilt. Maybe this will work for you? I don't think it will matter than you renamed your MAME set differently doing it that way.

image.thumb.png.e2e64af2c38cf7abe7dfe5fdc62ce908.png

image.png.c77c66b01c0e2786a4dddf0d73fee862.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, moudrost said:

I know right clicking the main arcade set should give you the option to create the missing playlists.

Even though I personally don't use playlists, this way is so much easier than explaining how to use the above plugin. lol  However after running the Create Missing ... Playlists, deleting all playlists, running it again and selecting Yes to every option, I'm still not coming up with a Vertically Oriented Games (or a variant thereof) playlist.

I then decided to get creative and used the ToolsImport - Mame Arcade Full Set....  It was there that the option for Vertically Oriented Games was found.  It's a little bit longer process than using the plugin, but it does work.  To get the Playlist here's what I did:

NOTE: My existing set is a non-merged set. If you attempt this with a merged or split set, scanning for removed ROMs (step 2) WILL break things.

1. Ran the Full Set import wizard
    1. Tools
    2. Import
    3. Mame Arcade Full Set...
      1. For the Platform, selected my existing Arcade platform
      2. Pointed to my existing ROMs folder
      3. Selected my Full Set Version (0.241 in my case)
      4. Selected Manually Configure MAME Emulator since I didn't need to change anything
      5. and selected my MAME emulator
      6. Leaderboards set it up the same as I had it before
      7. Unchecked Search for game info.. since my current set was up-to-date (and it'll speed up this process a little)
      8. Clicked Check None for images
      9. Set the 1st filter screen to match my current Arcade Platform
      10. On the 2nd filter screen, checked ONLY Create Playlist for vertically oriented games
      11. Then let the importer do it's thing
  2. Scan for removed ROMs
    1. Tools
    2. Scan
    3. For Removed Arcade ROMs***

image.thumb.png.573edef548f39eaa553c922c71a132a5.png

This got me back to my original 'curated' set.

***NOTE: My existing set is a non-merged set. If you have a merged or split set, scanning for removed ROMs WILL break things.

From there I edited the new Playlist and reset its' Parent.

image.thumb.png.a48603c7638a5fd98cf27cce50a76a03.png

• Like 1