LaunchBox Community Forums

Configuration file along with each theme. It's possible?

soqueroeu

I was wondering if there is a possibility for all theme creators to make configuration files available to work with themes. These should be applied/installed after installing the theme (or together). This would make all the image and video preference and priority adjustments to get the theme exactly as it was designed.

Does it exist?

53 minutes ago, soqueroeu said:

I was wondering if there is a possibility for all theme creators to make configuration files available to work with themes. These should be applied/installed after installing the theme (or together). This would make all the image and video preference and priority adjustments to get the theme exactly as it was designed.

Does it exist?

No. One reason is because a user's Image/Video priorities within the LB options can override the image type a theme creator may have designed the look for.

40 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

No. One reason is because a user's Image/Video priorities within the LB options can override the image type a theme creator may have designed the look for.

But that's exactly what I was referring to. The configuration file brought in the theme would overwrite the entire user configuration and would be mandatory.

Edited by soqueroeu

10 minutes ago, soqueroeu said:

But that's exactly what I was referring to. The configuration file brought in the theme would overwrite the entire user configuration and would be mandatory.

I don't think taking away user choice/customization is a particularly good idea to be honest, users should be able to display what art they choose for the most part.

15 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I don't think taking away user choice/customization is a particularly good idea to be honest, users should be able to display what art they choose for the most part.

Most theme creators mention theme setup tips in their posts. These settings are usually what is expected of the user, for the theme to work as it was designed. Wouldn't it be nice to already have this configuration via file, instead of recommendation? I'm not saying that installing this configuration is mandatory. But being able to have a configuration file that does this would be really nice. Obviously, if there is a way to undo the settings, it would be even better.

Edited by soqueroeu

Over the years I have seen our users are more likely to prefer their own settings over a theme designer’s artistic choices. Which is why I feel we have not seen theme specific config files asked about much. 

We have definitely had users ask how to get the exact look, but overwhelmingly it is the opposite. 

I definitely would not want a theme to override how I set my builds up. That is one of the main things about LB I enjoy. The ability to switch to different themes without it altering my settings.