LaunchBox Community Forums

Why not all custom themes for bigbox show up in available ? (I'm not noob :) )

patrickfx

That question is a question i never ask since 5 years but still dont catch the point.  

Note : I myself build a custom theme and upload in here !  So, i'm not a complete NOOB

So, my question is this.  When we are in BIGBOX, we have a good navigation menu where we can pick different custom theme.  That's all good, no need to manually load from internet...all from the bigbox GUI.

Why not all are there ?  I do understand there is a FORM , and probably because some custom theme doesn't meet all the requirements.  But if that reason, why make this process more easy !!! Coze from a BIGBOX user point of view, it is like nothing move since years over here...which when look into forum-download, we see a lot of movement but hein! that required more time...

Please some one try to explain me !

Edited by patrickfx

Just now, patrickfx said:

That question is a question i never ask since 5 years but still dont catch the point.  

Note : I myself build a custom theme and upload in here !  So, i'm not a complete NOOB

So, my question is this.  When we are in BIGBOX, we have a good navigation menu where we can pick different custom theme.  That's all good, no need to manually load from internet...all from the bigbox GUI.

Why not all are there ?  I do understand there is a FORM , and probably because some custom theme doesn't meet all the requirements.  But if that reason, why make this process more easy !!! Coze from a BIGBOX user point of view, it is like nothing move since years over here...which when look into forum-download, we see a lot of movement but hein! that required more time...

Please some one try to explain me !

Because themes available in the app have to be heavily tested to make sure they are stable and are not going to break the app or the navigation of it. We cant have buggy themes available directly that will break the navigation, or regularly crash Bigbox, that isn't good for anyone, so they are heavily tested, for days. Most theme makers do not care about this and just release their themes to the forums, as unzipping a file and moving it to a folder is pretty much the easiest thing you can do on a PC.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Because themes available in the app have to be heavily tested to make sure they are stable and are not going to break the app or the navigation of it. We cant have buggy themes available directly that will break the navigation, or regularly crash Bigbox, that isn't good for anyone, so they are heavily tested, for days. Most theme makers do not care about this and just release their themes to the forums, as unzipping a file and moving it to a folder is pretty much the easiest thing you can do on a PC.

i was (scare) and probably knew that will be the answer.  Which make some sense.  Can't be agaisnt that commitment.   

But then...simplify the process.  Coze, at the end, people will anyway download it and try it.  Coze again, i have to be honest, dont be hurt personally please but that official one seem not to be move a lot.  

When you said broken...is a X custom theme can brok another custom theme.  If not...no reason then.  Would be more convenient to have a kind of display flag that said...not certified...but keep us to use the GUI.

Coze i<m probably not alone to use BIGBOX in an arcade cabinet...using the GUI is way my best choice.  Rather then go into windows...

And BTW i personnaly build a custom theme and upload in the download section.  I look what required to make this certified...I found a lot not necessary for me.  I know, I know, this is where you will said...exactly, the main reason, if you dont need, maybe some need other views...which i do not agree...What i observ in certified one is this.  Let say a person build a custom theme and is main reason is wall , he will do the best on the wall views...then, just to be certified, he will do minimum required on other views.  At the end, this provide non egal quality on all views of the theme. 

Edited by patrickfx