LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox Attract Mode makes my computer fans scream!

SQTAYLOR

Need some help,

I'm running a 2013 MacBook Pro in Bootcamp with Windows 10.
Machine Specs:
2.4GHz Intel i7
8GB 1600 DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 1GB

The emulation works great, no issues with anything EXCEPT when I let the machine idle in Attract Mode it gets crazy hot and the fans blow full speed until I start a game and then they calm down again. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Is there a specific setting I can change?

Attract mode is using VLC to play videos and I only use the machine as a MAME/Arcade emulator, so it's not switching around to different systems, MAME only.

All meta-data and video content has been downloaded by launch box/Emu-movies.

I don't know what could be happening.
Thanks!

Bigbox uses a GPU when present for its rendering, you have a low powered one so its probably running at 100% would be my guess. Actual emulation for any system that is not 3D and upscaled will only use the CPU and wont touch the GPU at all, so my guess is its the GPU doing what it should, running as fast as it can, which of course means more cooling needed, but when running a game Bigbox is frozen and only the CPU is used for the current running game. To be honest i would be much more concerned if i had a dedicated GPU and the fans didnt come on, and lets mot forget this is a laptop and not a desktop with good cooling.