LaunchBox Community Forums

Latest updates crashes on image search & MAME Importer just freezes

l.strain

Seriously what is going on with Launchbox of late...................... As mentioned above each update seem to be making it worse and I have beefy PC and it seems launchbox is getting way to CPU intensive..... Think it's time to put all these new little gimmick updates to the side and do a QOL service to get it back on track!

1 hour ago, l.strain said:

Seriously what is going on with Launchbox of late...................... As mentioned above each update seem to be making it worse and I have beefy PC and it seems launchbox is getting way to CPU intensive..... Think it's time to put all these new little gimmick updates to the side and do a QOL service to get it back on track!

Not sure about LB getting worse each iteration, but new features do bring out bugs. That is why the team is constantly working and providing updates. We did go through a decent work through with the EmuMovies team to work out some recent scraping issues LB users were having with EmuMovies media. That update seems to have users back on track. Countless users are enjoying the new versions with little to no issues. So it is not really a case of the sky is falling, but we can understand your frustration.

Can you provide some specific details as to what exactly is going on.

"Latest updates crashes on image search" - What steps are you taking? Does this affect every platform you search for images for or only certain ones? By crashing are you getting errors or is LB just locking up and you have to force close?

"Mame Importer just freezes" - What import option are you using (Drag and Drop, Scan Folder, Full Mame Set Importer)?

The more details you can provide on your issues the better we can troubleshoot.

Just now, l.strain said:

full mame importer & missing media platform specifically boxes.... I do get errors and ask to submit reports but I feel it's unjustified I have to sign into whatever site needs them with google!   

Actually what he error says is that it has already been sent, you only need to sign in if you want to provide more details, which you should do if you actually want issues fixed obviously, cause if you aint prepared to help, how do you think it will be fixed? You could also screenshot, or copy/paste errors here on the forums.

1. pic https://gyazo.com/607d5e3cef0e592c00dcc35dd07b1f2c

2. pic https://gyazo.com/8935ad3a7e47bf9c43cc397a0b4bcc9d

3. I try to scrape from launchbox & emu movies (As of now I can't get by parsing mame update)

4. next time error appears i'll post the screenshot and neil9000 all due respect that's what beta versions are for and the members of the team should be testing before being passed for the main release hence the hotfix recently! 

9 minutes ago, l.strain said:

and neil9000 all due respect that's what beta versions are for and the members of the team should be testing before being passed for the main release hence the hotfix recently! 

Yes it is, but surprisingly few people actually use betas cause they don't want any issues with there setups, its not until a wide release that issues can come to light a lot of the time as a collection of maybe a few hundred users, of which maybe only a dozen or so regulars actually post issues to the beta thread on a regular basis is very different to tens of thousands of users banging at a release in unison. 

Also it is worth noting that yours is the only report of these two issues that I have seen, so the issue could be isolated to your machine and not a bug in Launchbox at all, that's why errors and log files are helpful. It could also be related to a third party theme, or plugin, which again would not be a issue with Launchbox itself, but it would still be Launchbox showing the error message.

As for that not responding window for MAME, how long did you wait before deciding that Launchbox has crashed? Cause at that point in the process we are getting the working games list from your MAME.exe, and this can take some time even on the best CPU you can get, 30 seconds to a minute wouldn't be to far out of the question for even a decently high specced system.

Also a tip for images, you can just drag and drop, or paste into your reply, there is no need for a third party image hosting site.

what?????????????? I wanted almost two hours last night and like i said launchbox has a team and you clearly haven't seen the other posts cause you're not a team member you just lurk about discords and forums.... What is the big deal in using 3rd party apps to post images for ease of use and convenience??????? These issues started with the issues with emu movies and i shall get the log but where is it???

1 hour ago, l.strain said:

what?????????????? I wanted almost two hours last night and like i said launchbox has a team and you clearly haven't seen the other posts cause you're not a team member you just lurk about discords and forums.... What is the big deal in using 3rd party apps to post images for ease of use and convenience??????? These issues started with the issues with emu movies and i shall get the log but where is it???

1. Just an FYI  Neil was a member of our moderation team for many many years and still hangs around to assist. Assuming Neil is some lurker is quite laughable.

2. Neil was simply advising images can be hosted directly in your post. It as simple as dragging and dropping the image. However, if you feel it is easier for you to open a 3rd party site, upload an image, click and copy the link then return to the forum and post the link than that is fine.

We understand with LB/BB not running as smoothly as you want this can cause frustrations. The best thing to do though is just come on the forum, let us know what is happening. Again the more details the better and let us help figure out if it is indeed a LB issue or something unique. Stable releases are not always going to be bug free. To expect that is unrealistic. I have never seen any software I have used over the past couple decades be bug free with updates. Something always slips through devs and testers.

The logs do not show anything glaring. There are a few 403 errors. Then again, I am not the most savvy with deciphering our debug logs. Can you go into you \LaunchBox\Data folder and see if you have an ImageQueUu.xml file in that folder? If so remove it and then test scraping again. I am not sure it will help, but that file being corrupted has caused some users issues scraping.

Doesn't exist that xml but the attitude when approached was appalling was totally unnecessary and to use an excuse of other programs have issues is not an answer.... it needs a QOL overhaul and stick to it's main premise to being a launcher so many issues like scraping Arcade/MAME also missing media then the CHD'S are in a platform of it's own why is it not automatically added to Arcade/MAME or even simple options to see broken/hidden games so we can check if the emulators have said games running.... Also removing a platform but............ then you have to remove each individual playlist with said platform... p.s Neil does just sit around discords and forums and has been extremely unpleasant to deal with in them too!

locked the thread because it has become unproductive. You are just repeating the same rants. So need for this thread to go on  

I want to ensure we can properly address your issues. I recommend you start a new thread and please keep it focused on reporting the specific issue and what steps you take to reproduce the issue. 

Let’s start fresh.