LaunchBox Community Forums

Mini PC build, OS suggestions and input.

Rexnebular

Hey I got a mini pc (Beelink gtr9) for BigBox and was wondering about OS choices. It comes with win 11 which I hate, I was thinking of Steam OS or something capable of launching x86 programs? Can you launch BigBox like a windows app through steam or on steamOS? I think you can add any program into the steam launcher.

The functionality that I want is "I turn it on and big box launches." I would like to avoid going down any rabbit holes of pain so any warnings or suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.priceboon.com/product/beelink-gtr9/

Big Box is only supported on Windows operating systems. Current versions are only supported on 64 bit Windows operating systems. Windows 10 and 11 are the only OS versions still supported by Microsoft as well as far as I'm aware so I'd stick with one of those.

To my knowledge LaunchBox/Big Box will not currently launch in Proton/SteamOS.

46 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Big Box is only supported on Windows operating systems. Current versions are only supported on 64 bit Windows operating systems. Windows 10 and 11 are the only OS versions still supported by Microsoft as well as far as I'm aware so I'd stick with one of those.

To my knowledge LaunchBox/Big Box will not currently launch in Proton/SteamOS.

Thanks for that info, what do you think of running Windows 10 lean? https://quickfever.com/how-to-install-windows-10-lean-cloude-download-iso/

I'm curious what you find that isn't working with Windows 11? I recently purchased the Beelink SER4 to use on one of my TVs and love it. I have Big Box configured as a startup application so it comes up automatically. It seems to come out of hibernation to Big Box just fine and haven't had to reboot it since I got it. I haven't seen Windows really get in the way of my experience yet.

I've not really heard of Windows 10 lean before but I have my doubts it would work as it sounds like they've removed a lot of core OS features to make it work. You could try it if you wanted but I really don't think you'll have much problems just running a standard Win10/11 setup.

Thanks guys. My beef with windows 11 is that it F##D my surface tablet pro. Its a tablet that no longer has any tablet features. So $1200 of hate is directed at MS for that move. 

I guess I'll use win 10

2 hours ago, moudrost said:

I'm curious what you find that isn't working with Windows 11? I recently purchased the Beelink SER4 to use on one of my TVs and love it. I have Big Box configured as a startup application so it comes up automatically. It seems to come out of hibernation to Big Box just fine and haven't had to reboot it since I got it. I haven't seen Windows really get in the way of my experience yet.

I haven't got mine yet, how is the performance with the beelink and Bigbox? Any emulators that struggle to keep up? 

I have had it for about a month. I have been playing a mixture of 16 bit games mostly (Retroarch) and those have been rock solid. I have up to Dreamcast and PS2 (using standalone PCSX2 and Redream for those) era games on that machine and those seem to run at a steady framerate as well. Big Box however is a bit laggy moving between games and platforms. I have tried a few different themes and haven't had much luck yet. Its usable, but not silky smooth as my desktop and arcade cabinet. This weekend I'm going to try and change the resolution to 1920x1080 to see if that improves things. To be honest, Big Box was the last thing I was worried about running poorly.

I got the pc 2 days early and started setting it up on the preinstalled win 11. Its just a bit wider then my NesPi4 case (very small). But the thing that blew my mind was the finger print reader, it's also a power button. So if its powered off and you touch that button it just logs you in automatically no keyboard needed no extra software to bypass windows login etc. Wow! so I can launch into big box with one button press, very convenient. 

So far everything is launching and Crazy Taxi was VERY crazy. 360 viva piñata was not as smooth as on my pc but that just needs some fine tuning. So far its looking good.  I should say thanks for not letting me use a beta os, that would have just added more confusion I think.