LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem with TurboGrafx-CD import/access.

Slag-O-Matic

I went through the process of creating a new platform for TurboGrafx-CD using RetroArch. I went through the same process I did with ColecoVision and eight or nine other platforms and they all work without any problems. During the setup it asked me for the BIOS file (syscard3.pce) which I had; I copied into LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch-Win64\system, pointed the setup wizard at it, and everything proceeded as expected. It identified all the games, downloaded artwork, etc. All good.

When I launch a title I get the launch screen -- "SUPER CD-ROM^2 SYSTEM. VER. 3.00" with a blinking "PUSH RUN BUTTON!"  I hit RETURN and "PUSH RUN BUTTON!" changes to "JUST A MOMENT..." and then...nothing happens. It just sits there forever — or at least for 15 minutes, which is as long as I was willing to wait on each of three different games I tested.

In attempting to troubleshoot I unzipped one of the games into its own folder; this resulted in a single .CUE file and several .BIN files. Back in LaunchBox I pointed that game from the ZIP file to the CUE file, and this time the game ran as expected. I still got "SUPER CD-ROM^2 SYSTEM. VER. 3.00" with a blinking "PUSH RUN BUTTON!" but this time pushing the RUN button actually worked and the game started almost immediately.

So I figured, okay, for whatever reason this emulator doesn't like ZIP files. So I deleted the TurboGrafx-CD console from LaunchBox (leaving the metadata behind) and unzipped all of the games, each one into its own folder as I had with my test game. I created another TurboGrafx-CD console and pointed it towards my now-unzipped game library. It imported all of them very quickly (since the metadata was already there). My test game still works but none of the other ones do. I don't even get the "SUPER CD-ROM^2 SYSTEM. VER. 3.00" screen; it just goes black and nothing else happens. Digging further I found that all of the games except my test game are pointing towards one of the BIN files in each of the folders. If I manually switch this to the CUE file in the folder then all of the games now present the "SUPER CD-ROM^2 SYSTEM. VER. 3.00" screen, but only a few of the games actually launch/work.

So, questions:

1. Does this emulator simply not like ZIP files or is something else happening here that I can't see?
  2. If it DOES like ZIP files then why is my system hanging every time I select a game located in a ZIP file?
  3. If it DOESN'T like ZIP files then why is it defaulting to a BIN file that doesn't work, rather than the CUE file that does?

You need to only import the file type that the emulator requires, in this case the .cue file. So you need to remove the platform again and re-import but with just the cue files this time. You can navigate to your rom folder and put *.cue in the windows search and drag and drop all the results to Launchbox to initiate the import wizard.