LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Android Version - Unable to choose network drive as storage location.

someguy

Hello,

I am unable to add my network drive as a storage location for games. Whenever I select a folder and click Parent, it just takes me back to the path selection window. I am able to see the network drive in file management apps. Where do I go to select my network drive?

Thanks!!

3 hours ago, someguy said:

Hello,

I am unable to add my network drive as a storage location for games. Whenever I select a folder and click Parent, it just takes me back to the path selection window. I am able to see the network drive in file management apps. Where do I go to select my network drive?

Thanks!!

What device are you using?

• 3 weeks later...

@jay_busacca @someguy How are you guys accessing the network share from your devices? Are you using some kind of special app? Are you using Samsung's My Files app? From what I can tell, network access on Android (other than for devices like that Nvidia Shield) is not system-wide access and is only provided by custom functionality within individual apps. This means that LaunchBox would have no access to shares you have in Samsung's My Files app, for example.

This doesn't really surprise me because network shares are not a common/expected usage scenario for mobile phones and tablets. Therefore, in order to implement it, we would have to build our own code for implementing Windows network shares, which is a bit out of scope for the project. So unless I'm missing something, unfortunately it's not likely to happen any time soon. Network shares are only supported on devices that have built-in system-wide support for network shares, like the Nvidia Shield.

Thanks for the explainer. My use case may have been common among some - I have an unraid server that houses all my roms. In an effort to minimize disk space, I save everything to my server and access it via wireguard, even from my phone. But I understand it's not going to be possible to do it this way. 

9 minutes ago, jay_busacca said:

Thanks for the explainer. My use case may have been common among some - I have an unraid server that houses all my roms. In an effort to minimize disk space, I save everything to my server and access it via wireguard, even from my phone. But I understand it's not going to be possible to do it this way. 

Gotcha, that makes sense. Yeah, as much as I would love to support that, it would be a tremendous amount of work. What app are you using on your phone?

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, TylerVigario said:

@Jason Carr I believe you just need to target the newer file picker that allows using 3rd-party apps for further selecting

https://developer.android.com/training/data-storage/shared/documents-files

This might work for browsing files for use in the app, but wouldn't likely work when sending those files on to emulators for playing the games. Some emulators are configured to work properly with all of those features, but most aren't.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

The way to make CIFs/SMB/NAS access work natively to an android phone is by using two third party apps:

Server side

LAN drive - SAMBA Server & Cli

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.webrox.landrive&hl=en&gl=US&pli=1

This app is straight forward; you can set the internal directories and/or external storage to usernames/passwords to what the usernames are allowed to access remotely

or

Servers Ultimate

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icecoldapps.serversultimate&hl=en&gl=US

Same as LAN Drive, more complex/flexible but you cannot set external storage

Client side

CIFS Documents Provider

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wa2c.android.cifsdocumentsprovider&hl=en&gl=US

Simple interface and configuration and most importantly is 100% native to the android OS and file system so you can use most emulators (still trying to work out retroarch) to access any remote file via the emulator

or

RCX - Rclone for Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.x0b.rcx&hl=en&gl=US

Same as CIFS DP, with more features

Having any of the above two combinations of server and client setup works however, Launchbox android doesn't give the ability to natively/flexibly select any directory (by way of the android OS file system browser), once that feature been added in for mobiles/tabletsa user will be able to use remote files to load into the emulators (via Launchbox android).

With the above setup I can confirm the following emulators work with SMB/NAS setups:

AetherSX2

Duckstation

Dolphin / Dolphion MMJR1 and MMJR2

PPSSPP