LaunchBox Community Forums

Confused on Android Import

slydog43

I have exported my Launchbox artwork/roms from my Windows setup and it created a Dir named Launchbox with some sub dirs.  I then install Launchbox on my android device, but how do I tell it to load stuff from a SD Card.   I don't want to copy over my export to internal memory, I want to copy it an external SD.  I assume I will have to change XML files, but I just can't figure out how to do this.  Don't even know about SymLinks on Android, but hope I don't need them.

Update: Sorry found the option of Data Folder on the app, but am having permission troubles.  I saw another thread about this, but saw no solution.  I know retroarch had some issue like this and the solution was to edit and add the path to retroarch.  I'm hoping something like that can happen with LaunchBox.  Any ideas?

Edited by slydog43

I kinda have it working after moving all the images & videos to internal storage, but one major thing does not work.  FAVORITES.  I thought I would have a category under each platform call favorites.  I have gone through all my systems and created favorites on my PC, but when I import the platforms to android, favorites are gone.  There is an option to show favorited games first, but that doesn't seem to work for me. 

I got it to kinda work by setting secondary filter to none, then my favorites are listed first, great.  My issue is why not have a favorite category along with the others like sports, adventure, etc.  Doesn't that make sense?  thanks

Edited by slydog43

On 7/12/2022 at 1:03 PM, slydog43 said:

I have exported my Launchbox artwork/roms from my Windows setup and it created a Dir named Launchbox with some sub dirs.  I then install Launchbox on my android device, but how do I tell it to load stuff from a SD Card.   I don't want to copy over my export to internal memory, I want to copy it an external SD.  I assume I will have to change XML files, but I just can't figure out how to do this.  Don't even know about SymLinks on Android, but hope I don't need them.

Update: Sorry found the option of Data Folder on the app, but am having permission troubles.  I saw another thread about this, but saw no solution.  I know retroarch had some issue like this and the solution was to edit and add the path to retroarch.  I'm hoping something like that can happen with LaunchBox.  Any ideas?

This depends on what device you're using. Unfortunately there are some devices that run broken/flawed versions of Android. What device are you using?

On 7/13/2022 at 2:25 AM, slydog43 said:

I kinda have it working after moving all the images & videos to internal storage, but one major thing does not work.  FAVORITES.  I thought I would have a category under each platform call favorites.  I have gone through all my systems and created favorites on my PC, but when I import the platforms to android, favorites are gone.  There is an option to show favorited games first, but that doesn't seem to work for me. 

I got it to kinda work by setting secondary filter to none, then my favorites are listed first, great.  My issue is why not have a favorite category along with the others like sports, adventure, etc.  Doesn't that make sense?  thanks

I'll need a bit more information on this. If you're exporting from the desktop app, you shouldn't be using the "Import" feature on Android. Once you copy things over, and use the right folder, all your games should just be there, favorites included.

Actually, it sounds like (based on your second paragraph), that you do have favorites working and they're listed first. We could add an option to show a favorites section, yes, just like Recently Played. You're the first to request it though. Consider it requested.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

One more thing, I try to export files to Android myself but is there way to export only metadata without game files?

I have exactly same collection on PC and on my SD card in Odin Pro. Problem is Android version of your app just don't scrape metadata as good as windows one. But I allready set up all files and locations on SD card and it's different path compared to Windows version. Is it possible to export only metadata and then somehow set path in Android Launchbox app?

Ok, got it, Launchbox have predefined folders, all you have to do is delete old platform meta data and put new one made by windows version of app. First I tried to merge files but that wasn't succesfull, program crashed, probably because there was more then one metadata for same thing, but when I leaved folder with just windows export, all worked fantastic.

• 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, Nerdgg said:

The application is horrible nothing works properly

A bad workman always blames his tools. If it was that bad, then EVERYONE would have the same exact issues and the app would have been pulled long ago.

I'm using the free version, so I can only comment on that version, but I have had NO issues at all importing and running any of my chosen (and supported) ROMS and emulators.

What you need to remember when it comes to Android, is that most problems are caused by the OS and/or security permissions needed, NOT with the app itself, just my experience.

41 minutes ago, Nerdgg said:

seems to be forgotten by the devs years on end and same issues persist.

Same issues? Would you care to elaborate on these "Issues" or should I dig out the Crystal Ball and Tarot cards?

Edited by IainSA

12 minutes ago, IainSA said:

A bad workman always blames his tools. If it was that bad, then EVERYONE would have the same exact issues and the app would have been pulled long ago.

I'm using the free version, so I can only comment on that version, but I have had NO issues at all importing and running any of my chosen (and supported) ROMS and emulators.

What you need to remember when it comes to Android, is that most problems are caused by the OS and/or security permissions needed, NOT with the app itself, just my experience.

Same issues? Would you care to elaborate on these "Issues" or should I dig out the Crystal Ball and Tarot cards?

No need to be sassy. I have given up on trying to make it work then suddenly it works so I deleted my comments. I wasn't directing my comment here towards you by the way...

5 minutes ago, Nerdgg said:

I wasn't directing my comment here towards you by the way.

Never thought you were TBH.

My point was that you mention issues and the inability to get it working, But without more information or specific issues you have, how can anyone help?

8 minutes ago, Nerdgg said:

I have given up on trying to make it work then suddenly it works

Such is the nature of emulation.

9 minutes ago, Nerdgg said:

Something can be bad if it is too much trouble ok ?

What seems "bad" or "too much trouble" usually turns out to be easy, ONCE you get the relevant information

12 minutes ago, Nerdgg said:

But whatever you keep attacking me sure.

You see a bit of sarcasm as an attack? OK, I'll put away the daggers and pitchforks :)