Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

What themes for 3D boxes and cards views?


Recommended Posts

Hello community,if anyone can help me,i look for themes where i can choose the 3d boxes or cart views.I test Bannerbox and Flikbox (great themes by the way) but i still have the front box.

Sorry for my english,i'm a french guy ^^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2022 at 10:10 AM, Ted57 said:

Hello community,if anyone can help me,i look for themes where i can choose the 3d boxes or cart views.I test Bannerbox and Flikbox (great themes by the way) but i still have the front box.

Sorry for my english,i'm a french guy ^^

I assume you're looking for Big Box themes? Keep in mind that a lot of Big Box themes will allow you to change the image type. If you go into the Big Box settings, you can bind a key or button to Switch Image Type. Then that will allow you to switch them up. Most (but not all) themes/views will allow you to do this.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2022 at 1:52 PM, Jason Carr said:

I assume you're looking for Big Box themes? Keep in mind that a lot of Big Box themes will allow you to change the image type. If you go into the Big Box settings, you can bind a key or button to Switch Image Type. Then that will allow you to switch them up. Most (but not all) themes/views will allow you to do this.

im trying to figure out how to change the view of the theme so it shows the wheel....cant seem to figure it out. Also i cant get the background to show any game art, or video clips of the game. Thank you for your help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, iirishguyi said:

im trying to figure out how to change the view of the theme so it shows the wheel....cant seem to figure it out. Also i cant get the background to show any game art, or video clips of the game. Thank you for your help!

You can go to Options > Views > Games List View in Big Box to switch up the view globally. Or, you can bind a key or a button to Switch View to do it while you're in a particular platform.

Backgrounds are called Fanart - Background by default. You can download them when you import games, or via Tools > Download Metadata and Media in LaunchBox (not Big Box). So make sure you have some in LaunchBox first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

You can go to Options > Views > Games List View in Big Box to switch up the view globally. Or, you can bind a key or a button to Switch View to do it while you're in a particular platform.

Backgrounds are called Fanart - Background by default. You can download them when you import games, or via Tools > Download Metadata and Media in LaunchBox (not Big Box). So make sure you have some in LaunchBox first.

Yes I figured out that part I think, some fellas on here helped me. But I'm also now having an issue with the sound, like have you ever wanted to connect your PC to your TV so you can see on your TV as you're playing? Well at first I was having a lot of issues with getting my laptop to go full-screen while in game play, I think I figured that part out, but now if like I was saying if I wanted to connect to my TV and I use the HDMI, I got it to work but now there is no sound on the TV when playing a game....does that make sense? I know it's possible I've done it before but I can't remember how I got everything to work and still play the games while showing on the TV.....thoughts?? I really appreciate your help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, iirishguyi said:

Yes I figured out that part I think, some fellas on here helped me. But I'm also now having an issue with the sound, like have you ever wanted to connect your PC to your TV so you can see on your TV as you're playing? Well at first I was having a lot of issues with getting my laptop to go full-screen while in game play, I think I figured that part out, but now if like I was saying if I wanted to connect to my TV and I use the HDMI, I got it to work but now there is no sound on the TV when playing a game....does that make sense? I know it's possible I've done it before but I can't remember how I got everything to work and still play the games while showing on the TV.....thoughts?? I really appreciate your help

You probably just need to change your default sound device to the HDMI. Generally you can do that by right-clicking on the sound icon in the system tray and choosing Sound Settings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 2:45 PM, Jason Carr said:

You probably just need to change your default sound device to the HDMI. Generally you can do that by right-clicking on the sound icon in the system tray and choosing Sound Settings.

im still having issues with the sound not working on the TV! Its fine on the device itself (laptop) but as soon as i hook up the HDMI and start the game the sound goes out completely on the TV....NO SOUND at all. Its strange, and yes i did try the instructions you gave me, im assuming you meant the system tray or settings on the laptop....? Any other suggestions? PLEASE im fresh out of ideas! Thank you i appreciate all your help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 2:45 PM, Jason Carr said:

You probably just need to change your default sound device to the HDMI. Generally you can do that by right-clicking on the sound icon in the system tray and choosing Sound Settings.

I finally got it working, unfortunately I had to ditch Retroarch for reasons I still don't understand, and then I had to install another emulator SNES9X, and I got it to run in full-screen and the sound is playing on the TV, but the only problem for whatever reason my game controller is not responding, the emulator is not connecting to my controller, not one button is working......thoughts? Are you familiar at all with this emulator?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I have no idea why you'd be having so much trouble with sound on that TV. It might be worth trying a different TV to see if it's just an issue with the TV. I would still recommend RetroArch.

I have used SNES9x in the past, but it's been a long time. It's probably pretty outdated at this point. You might need to just configure the controller settings for it though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately I have no idea why you'd be having so much trouble with sound on that TV. It might be worth trying a different TV to see if it's just an issue with the TV. I would still recommend RetroArch.

I have used SNES9x in the past, but it's been a long time. It's probably pretty outdated at this point. You might need to just configure the controller settings for it though.

I can't figure out how to configure the controller settings on the emulator though that's why I'm asking. So you have no idea how to set up the controls or a controller in the emulator? 

Also I've already gone over this a few times now....there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the television, the sound works fine when watching regular TV and it also works perfectly fine for playing the games I installed! The sound on the TV is just not working for whatever reason when playing games on that emulator system (retroarch) it does however work on the SNES9X Emulator but again the controller isn't responding and the controls do not work. I have done some research and I'm not sure why you think that emulator is outdated since it's still apparently the most popular emulator there is for that system (SNES)  there is one other emulator....can't remember what it's called but it does not work for Windows PC, doesn't support Windows. Thanks anyway I appreciate the help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off iirishguyi, I would still use Retroarch unless you just simply can't stand it. Having the same hot keys (save state, rewind etc) across all those emulators is amazing. It's caused me a lot less headache than figuring out 20 separate programs. Myself and many others use RA on TV's regularly. So it's probably something simple. If you have sound on SNES 9X but don't have sound in RA then I would do a total reinstall of RA with all previous settings removed. Before you worry about BigBox just run the emulator itself and see. Also try different RetroArch Cores. Maybe it's just that core. Also, I'm sure you know this, but many emulators don't allow changing the audio source while the game is running so make sure you don't do that. It's surely something simple. Hopefully you get it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dan Patrick said:

First off iirishguyi, I would still use Retroarch unless you just simply can't stand it. Having the same hot keys (save state, rewind etc) across all those emulators is amazing. It's caused me a lot less headache than figuring out 20 separate programs. Myself and many others use RA on TV's regularly. So it's probably something simple. If you have sound on SNES 9X but don't have sound in RA then I would do a total reinstall of RA with all previous settings removed. Before you worry about BigBox just run the emulator itself and see. Also try different RetroArch Cores. Maybe it's just that core. Also, I'm sure you know this, but many emulators don't allow changing the audio source while the game is running so make sure you don't do that. It's surely something simple. Hopefully you get it

I have reinstalled Retroarch many times already and there's something going on between the connection with Retroarch and Launchbox maybe, I mean I don't really know what you mean when you say cores, I'll be honest I'm not an expert when it comes to Retroarch but I have used it off and on for years so I pretty much know the basics, but if you're saying I need to change the core I am not sure what you're referring to sorry lol. It's just strange how everything is working fine now that I installed a different emulator and even the controls that I was having issues with I figured out how to program. I would like to go back to using Retroarch but again for some reason it won't play the sound from the game if you have it connected to the TV, and yes the TV is fine I assure you. But open to any suggestions you might have. Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couple things come to mind. Cores in RA just means emulators. For instance, theres an SNES9X core in RA which is the same emulator you mentioned earlier.

1) Can Retroarch produce sound on the TV when used by itself (not with Launchbox)

2) Try a few different cores to see if they all have no sound. Try for instance "Gambette" core for Game Boy and then Try "Quick NES" core for NES and see if those cores give you sound. You download new cores with Online Updater>Core Downloader from the main menu

3) In the Audio menu of RA there's a "mute" option. Obviously make sure that's not turned on.

Launchbox shouldn't be the issue. If there's an issue it's with Retroarch. LB just launches the emulator. 

 

In regards to SNES9X it seems it's last update was 2006 Snes9X.COM: News. I'm sure it works but it's not the best option today for snes. I'd use BSNES (previously called Higan)

If nothing here works there's always YouTube.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2022 at 11:41 PM, Dan Patrick said:

Couple things come to mind. Cores in RA just means emulators. For instance, theres an SNES9X core in RA which is the same emulator you mentioned earlier.

1) Can Retroarch produce sound on the TV when used by itself (not with Launchbox)

2) Try a few different cores to see if they all have no sound. Try for instance "Gambette" core for Game Boy and then Try "Quick NES" core for NES and see if those cores give you sound. You download new cores with Online Updater>Core Downloader from the main menu

3) In the Audio menu of RA there's a "mute" option. Obviously make sure that's not turned on.

Launchbox shouldn't be the issue. If there's an issue it's with Retroarch. LB just launches the emulator. 

 

In regards to SNES9X it seems it's last update was 2006 Snes9X.COM: News. I'm sure it works but it's not the best option today for snes. I'd use BSNES (previously called Higan)

If nothing here works there's always YouTube.

 

That's a good point I've never tried to use Retroarch without Launchbox I don't think so I'll try that and let you know. I have one other core it's for Playstation, but I haven't tested that one I don't think so I'll try that also. So if none of that works you're saying it's probably Retroarch that's the problem? 

Yes I've actually heard after researching that Higan was the best emulator for SNES, unfortunately it doesn't support Windows, we're you aware of that? I'm assuming BSNES does however support Windows and will work for the PC(Laptop?) So I'll give that a try also. Thanks for all your help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...