LaunchBox Community Forums

Easy way to cleanup game list AFTER importing?

maxforwardspeed

I was really struggling to import a ROM collection for arcade where I couldn't get the original Pac-Man to import. Just about every other variant was importing other than the original. So I went back to import the collection again, but this time unchecked (probably way too many) boxes to see if it would finally work. Well, it did it import Pac-Man, but now I have a ton of duplicates of everything. I scoured the settings and only see the clean up media wizard which probably wouldn't solve this issue. It's odd to me that I couldn't get it to import the first time with the default import settings, but besides that what should I do now? Thanks.

15 minutes ago, maxforwardspeed said:

I was really struggling to import a ROM collection for arcade where I couldn't get the original Pac-Man to import. Just about every other variant was importing other than the original. So I went back to import the collection again, but this time unchecked (probably way too many) boxes to see if it would finally work. Well, it did it import Pac-Man, but now I have a ton of duplicates of everything. I scoured the settings and only see the clean up media wizard which probably wouldn't solve this issue. It's odd to me that I couldn't get it to import the first time with the default import settings, but besides that what should I do now? Thanks.

Pacman is a clone of the original japanese game that is actually called puckman, so its likely puckman was being imported and pacman was being added to that game as a associated app.

13 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Pacman is a clone of the original japanese game that is actually called puckman, so its likely puckman was being imported and pacman was being added to that game as a associated app.

Ahh, yeah I bet that's what it was then. So what would have been the correct way for me to get Pac-Man to display in my game collection? And what should I do now?

1 hour ago, maxforwardspeed said:

Ahh, yeah I bet that's what it was then. So what would have been the correct way for me to get Pac-Man to display in my game collection? And what should I do now?

If this is the only game you are having issues with, then you can Edit puckman, go into Additional Apps. Click on Alternate Names, click on Pac-Man, and choose "Set Selected Name as Title".

You could also go into the Additional Apps section if you want to set which version of Pac-Man opens by default.

9 minutes ago, faeran said:

If this is the only game you are having issues with, then you can Edit puckman, go into Additional Apps. Click on Alternate Names, click on Pac-Man, and choose "Set Selected Name as Title".

You could also go into the Additional Apps section if you want to set which version of Pac-Man opens by default.

Does it matter how my romset is packaged? I have a non-merged set, so perhaps that's causing the issue? The problem is I'm not sure what other titles are not being imported in the same fashion. I just did a quick test on Pac-Man, but I'll check other titles now also.

5 minutes ago, maxforwardspeed said:

Does it matter how my romset is packaged? I have a non-merged set, so perhaps that's causing the issue? The problem is I'm not sure what other titles are not being imported in the same fashion. I just did a quick test on Pac-Man, but I'll check other titles now also.

No, not if you used the full set importer. It ignores your files completely and uses other files, along with the settings you choose, to determine what, and how, to import.

3 hours ago, faeran said:

No, not if you used the full set importer. It ignores your files completely and uses other files, along with the settings you choose, to determine what, and how, to import.

I didn't use the full set importer because I'm testing a reference set with mame2003 plus on RetroArch, which I believe is 0.78. Maybe I'll try importing as a full set and point launchbox to RetroArch instead of MAME. I'm ultimately hoping to slim the set down to use 4-way joystick games with RetroArch and then the latest set and everything else with the newest mame. Hopefully that makes sense.