LaunchBox Community Forums

Xbox controller mapping to exit games and Bigbox issue

NicoDirkfan

I love being able to use my Xbox one controller and having total control of so many different systems.  I have my "center Xbox button that lights up" mapped as the quit button, which will kick me out of any emulator/game and back into Bigbox.  The problem is, sometimes if I accidentally hit again, and it seems very sensitive, it also closes Bigbox.  Is there a way I could change that to "holding" the center button to exit Bigbox?  Thanks if you can help! :)

4 hours ago, NicoDirkfan said:

Is there a way I could change that to "holding" the center button to exit Bigbox?

If you mean holding the Guide button for a certain duration, then no, afaik that isn't possible in LaunchBox / BigBox.

4 hours ago, NicoDirkfan said:

The problem is, sometimes if I accidentally hit again, and it seems very sensitive, it also closes Bigbox.

You can set up BigBox to use a button combination instead of a single button. You're much less likely to accidentally hit a button combination. In BigBox > Options > Controller Mappings > Close the Active Window, enter a button combination. I use the Xbox Guide button + Start. ( Button 11 + 8 )

845651231_Schermopname(106).thumb.jpg.c81cd3e28074a51c3dec9cf4be51be5c.jpg

But you can also look at this:

If you use exit scripts to exit out of emulators that send Alt + F4, like:

Send !{f4}

replace that with:

WinClose, ahk_exe {{{StartupEXE}}}

This closes the emulator specifically and not BigBox.

1713476173_Schermopname(105).thumb.jpg.29d96852d15c881515644e91707d92d2.jpg

There is a controller button binding for exiting BigBox, different from the one for exiting the game.  However, the one for exiting the game is "Close Active Window".  Which does just that.  So when you hit it again and BigBox is the active window, it closes.  As you've found.  There isn't an option for 'long-press'.

3 minutes ago, Your Friendly A.I Overlord said:

Actually the "Close the Active Window" button combo doesn't do anything for me if BigBox is the active window. It does not close BigBox for me.

In my 1 quick test this morning, it did close BB for me.  But I hadn't finished my 1st cup of coffee yet when I tested.  I've been wrong before. and as life has shown, I'll be wrong again.  And I will be the 1st to admit it. :D  I'll check again in a bit.  

If what you're saying is true, then NikoDirkFan shouldn't having an issue unless "Exit" was also bound to the Guide Button. 

20 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

If what you're saying is true, then NikoDirkFan shouldn't having an issue unless "Exit" was also bound to the Guide Button. 

This could be another possibility. 😁 But IMO "Exit" should be renamed to "Exit BigBox" (or "Close BigBox") to avoid confusion.

Edited by Your Friendly A.I Overlord

24 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

In my 1 quick test this morning, it did close BB for me.  But I hadn't finished my 1st cup of coffee yet when I tested.  I've been wrong before. and as life has shown, I'll be wrong again.  And I will be the 1st to admit it. :D  I'll check again in a bit.  

Lol. But there could be other factors at play. I've noticed before that some things worked for me and didn't for others. Or vice versa.

Thanks to all of you for being so helpful - really appreciate it!  I do use exit scripts, and for nearly every emulator, mapping the guide button works.  However, I had overlooked the option to use a button combination to exit BigBox, and I think that's a great solution that even my kids can remember :)