LaunchBox Community Forums

Cannot update launchbox anymore

Vhero

Launchbox updates (via app or manually) will no longer install as its saying it need the Visual C++ Redistributable 2015. However I already have this installed so it gives an error when i try to install it saying as much. I cannot therefore install as the installer does not allow you to go further in install until i thinks i have this. Please can this be fixed??

Sounds like the OS isn't correctly telling the installer what you have installed. I've seen it in the past with some of the other runtimes, but not that one. Typically what users need to do is remove it from Add/Edit programs then restart the computer and run the install again. Alternatively you could try to run command promt as admin and run the command "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) and let that run and have Windows try to repair itself. If it finds anything I'd restart your computer before running the install again.

On 8/4/2022 at 8:13 PM, C-Beats said:

Sounds like the OS isn't correctly telling the installer what you have installed. I've seen it in the past with some of the other runtimes, but not that one. Typically what users need to do is remove it from Add/Edit programs then restart the computer and run the install again. Alternatively you could try to run command promt as admin and run the command "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) and let that run and have Windows try to repair itself. If it finds anything I'd restart your computer before running the install again.

While i get what your saying cant you remove the forced install of it to update in future? I mean its not fair your paying customers have to troubleshoot like this because of a decision you made. That's a lot of effort to simply install an update and may not even fix the issue in a lot of cases (had issues with Visual Studio previously). Also i figured it out the installer looks for Visual C++ 2015-2019 which it force installs. However if you have the newer update 2015-2022 like i did it doesn't work it specifically searches for the 2015-2019 Visual C++. 

Edited by Vhero

On 8/4/2022 at 11:58 PM, Vhero said:

Launchbox updates (via app or manually) will no longer install as its saying it need the Visual C++ Redistributable 2015. However I already have this installed so it gives an error when i try to install it saying as much. I cannot therefore install as the installer does not allow you to go further in install until i thinks i have this. Please can this be fixed??

I am also facing same problem . can anyone help  to fix it?

2 hours ago, katherine said:

I am also facing same problem . can anyone help  to fix it?

I fixed it by going to add/remove programs and uninstalling the visual c++ that had 2015 in the name. There was two of them. Then let the installer install the older version of visual c++ . This is the problem. The installer needs and older version. The reason this is an issue.

Edited by Vhero