LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame command.dat Need help.

djweevil666

17 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Don't know about retroArch, but for stand-alone MAME, command.dat would go in the ../MAME/dat/ folder, and command.ini would go in either  ../MAME/ini/  or  ../MAME/ini/folders/    Depending how you have it setup.

Is there some special way of activating it after? I have them in the folders you said via the system mame folder command.dat is in the dats folder and the command.ini is in the ini folder.

56 minutes ago, djweevil666 said:

Is there some special way of activating it after?

I'm not really sure what you mean.  

I'm pretty sure all these do is, when you're in-game and press Tab to bring up the MAME Menu (at least in stand-alone MAME), then select inputs, instead of showing something like

Player1 Button1
Player1 Button2

it'll show you (if available) what the action is

Player1 Punch
Player1 Jump

Also in stand-alone MAME, when you open the emulator without a ROM, you can scroll sideways on the "Infos" tab to "Command" to see commands for a particular game.  I've seen these buttons in color, but never figured out how to have them show that way in my MAME.

image.thumb.png.abaa7d0fa947cd45b1adc9f6e4ab0d29.png

It used to show in the tab menu the cheat etc there is supposed to be a command in the list

and when you click it it shows the moves. I have to setup some kind of paths in some ini ui ini or mame ini to make it show maybe something about a plgin or path or something. I'm really slow at this. I think I may have turned into smoke.

5 hours ago, djweevil666 said:

It used to show in the tab menu the cheat etc there is supposed to be a command in the list

and when you click it it shows the moves. I have to setup some kind of paths in some ini ui ini or mame ini to make it show maybe something about a plgin or path or something. I'm really slow at this. I think I may have turned into smoke.

To view "Command", select External DAT View.

image.png.7c6219758bd86d264a5ba6c1b5873e2d.png

image.thumb.png.132b450af669b7fad6b8733fae52c140.png

Command Tab will only appear for games that are listed in command.dat.  Mortal Kombat (mk.zip) is a good one to test with.

You don't need anything special to view this. The paths should be setup by default.  You just need command.dat in the dat folder.

Again, this is for (at least) standalone MAME.  I've never used RA MAME.

• Like 2

Dear Joe Viking,

I had too follow this guide I had to copy files from real mame pc version to my retroarch version.

I had to change some paths for it to show up.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/guide-libretro-mame-current-hiscore-history-gameinit-command/24452

Also History.dat is no longer a .dat but an .xml file. You put it in the same folder you normally would though.

Joe Viking it was really kind of you to stick through this with me. I get frustrated really easliy but your patience helped me to focus and get it done. Thank you and cheers.

• Game On 1