LaunchBox Community Forums

Scrapping with "." or extra words in the title.

raviol

Hey guys,

So I wanted to automate my ISOs game folder, but I'm struggling to match the metadata for them.

I configured a generic emulator (as Daemon Tools). All my ISOs were imported, so that's fine.

Then when I looked for metadata most of my games didn't get any metadata fetched.

The issue seems to be in the name of the games. My ISOs looks mostly like this: "Alien.vs.Predator.2010.English.Disk1" so most of metadata services doesn't identify them unless I manually remove the dots, year, language and disk. So if I change the title for "Alien vs Predator" I got all metadata fetched. 

My collection is very big so it is not an option to do this manually. Is there any tool, plug-in, script or configuration I can do in order to remove some of the elements of the titles before searching for metadata?

Thank you!

12 hours ago, raviol said:

Hey guys,

So I wanted to automate my ISOs game folder, but I'm struggling to match the metadata for them.

I configured a generic emulator (as Daemon Tools). All my ISOs were imported, so that's fine.

Then when I looked for metadata most of my games didn't get any metadata fetched.

The issue seems to be in the name of the games. My ISOs looks mostly like this: "Alien.vs.Predator.2010.English.Disk1" so most of metadata services doesn't identify them unless I manually remove the dots, year, language and disk. So if I change the title for "Alien vs Predator" I got all metadata fetched. 

My collection is very big so it is not an option to do this manually. Is there any tool, plug-in, script or configuration I can do in order to remove some of the elements of the titles before searching for metadata?

Thank you!

I found a VBS script a few years ago that does this.....google "script to edit file names" it's the 1st hit. Use this to batch rename files. They provide great instructions on how to set it up and use it

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/use-this-script-to-rename-multiple-files-at-once-in-windows/

34 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Or if you want a actual program with a UI then i use and recommend Bulk Rename Utility.

39 minutes ago, skizzosjt said:

I found a VBS script a few years ago that does this.....google "script to edit file names" it's the 1st hit. Use this to batch rename files. They provide great instructions on how to set it up and use it

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/use-this-script-to-rename-multiple-files-at-once-in-windows/

Well I appreciate your comments but I would like to keep the files named like that. So my idea was to find a solution for launch box scrappers to identify them. So maybe a tool for renaming the titles inside launchbox or modifying the scrapper to ignore those terms.

1 minute ago, raviol said:

Well I appreciate your comments but I would like to keep the files named like that. So my idea was to find a solution for launch box scrappers to identify them. So maybe a tool for renaming the titles inside launchbox or modifying the scrapper to ignore those terms.

You already can edit the names inside Launchbox, but you cant do that in bulk obviously as each name is different. If you insist on keeping that naming scheme then no scraper out there will match your games i'm afraid, it's simply not a standard used for game naming. Games should be named as the actual game, and any extra information should be included in parenthesis, that is the standard for all game naming, like below.

image.thumb.png.e6459552ccc0f04ee81f579bd8cd25ca.png

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You already can edit the names inside Launchbox, but you cant do that in bulk obviously as each name is different. If you insist on keeping that naming scheme then no scraper out there will match your games i'm afraid, it's simply not a standard used for game naming. Games should be named as the actual game, and any extra information should be included in parenthesis, that is the standard for all game naming, like below.

image.thumb.png.e6459552ccc0f04ee81f579bd8cd25ca.png

Oh that could work, so if I add some parenthesis then that info would be ignored by the scrappers?

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Or if you want a actual program with a UI then i use and recommend Bulk Rename Utility.

thanks for sharing. I'm def going to snag this program!

After seeing your additional posts it seems this confirms raviol will still need to rename files though. I get it that it's certainly not the standard naming convention, but wonder which part(s) of it is the real problem. Is it the periods that are screwing it up? Or is it all the extra info not being in parenthesis? or both? For example, would this still be problematic?

Alien.vs.Predator (2010)(English)(Disk 1)

Just want to know for my own curiosity!