LaunchBox Community Forums

How to hide the gui of duckstation and pcsx2 1.7?

ReignerDeustcher

For duckstation, batch does work exactly as intended hiding the GUI. I just tested for a sanity check.

as to using a key press to exit, you will want to reassign the exit key in the emulator and then setup a hotkey so it triggers that emulator exit key (or just hit the exit key you assigned in duckstation). I made it End in duckstation and then made escape a hotkey to end for ex: $Esc::End

I use PCSX2 1.6 for the need to have light gun support so idk about 1.7 but I can vouch for 1.6 working as intended also.

"How to hide the gui of duckstation and pcsx2 1.7"

- For PCSX2 you can add the -nogui command-line parameter. And Duckstation has a no-gui version: duckstation-nogui-x64-ReleaseLTCG.exe

- Or if you mean when you launch a game? In the case, in the emulators' settings check the "Start Fullscreen" checkbox (or use the -fullscreen command-line parameter). In LaunchBox > Tools > Manage > Emulators > Duckstation / PCSX2 > Startup Screen, enable and set up startup screens.

- For exiting both emulators, in LaunchBox add the -batch command-line parameter. Just make sure that in the emulators' settings "Confirm Shutdown or Confirm Power Off " are unchecked. Both emulators can be closed with Escape without the need for an exit script.

Edited by Your Friendly A.I Overlord

7 hours ago, Your Friendly A.I Overlord said:

Both emulators can be closed with Escape without the need for an exit script.

meh it's what I had in my script. must have been some experiment I did and never reverted back to something not so nonsensical.... after you're now pointing it out this is totally unnecessary. thanks!

I set this one up when I was still on free version of LB and if I remember right was an attempt by me to hide a couple random flashing windows during start and shutdown. Little more difficult without the features behind the paywall. I tried using "normal" settings now, and these screens pop back up again . for ex this is at launch...black screen with two white screen areas, this happens even with batch parameter on either the nogui or standard exe version. To clarify, the game window pop ups momentarily after seeing this so just want to make sure no one thinks this is one of those stuck on a black screen problems. just a brief flash of this screen.

image.thumb.png.cc2c1ad61ee746a5940b9583712c9c1d.png

and on shutdown I see a fullscreen flash of the "nogui" screen....(how ironic 🤦‍♂️) if using the nogui version and selecting games to launch in fullscreen. but if selecting the standard exe, I don't see the GUI flash at shutdown as long as the -batch parameter is included. this is what I see flash after game shutdowns, but prior to shutdown screen appearing when using nogui version

image.thumb.png.f5f73ea73aa0120ae689735a116b8daa.png

OK so I know I'm talking about startup and shutdown screens, but this is related to hiding the GUI. What I've found I had to do was use standard version rather than the nogui version, additionally, I need to start in windowed mode. Starting in fullscreen must be turned off. I then use this in emulators running script to make it go into fullscreen at launch. A normal send command works too FYI. I was doing even more silly shit that I deemed unnecessary during my initial experiment months ago like using a shortcut link, telling that to launch the emulator minimized, and using control send to send those keys to the right part of the window so it would actual toggle fullscreen  since send only goes to an active window, and I was trying to send it to a minimized window. So I just left that in, it's not harming anything being more specific where the keys are sent. It's the "classNN" title of the window section that is the actual game area.

WinWait, ahk_exe duckstation-qt-x64-ReleaseLTCG.exe
ControlSend, Qt610QWindowIcon5, {RAlt down}{Enter down}{Enter up}{RAlt up}

And I think this is more or less default setup in the emulator

image.thumb.png.816c82199fff605df06e16eadaff6563.png

"Hide All Windows that are not in Exclusive Fullscreen Mode" option I think could be optional. Investigating just now, it looks like if it is off all it does is not hide the standard exe game selection window, but causes no other screen pop up flashes, and you never actually see this GUI window at startup or shutdown (as long as "-batch" parameter is used)

image.thumb.png.83eea182b25d53f8c4d5f89ae8331e1b.png

Am I overthinking all this? Any chance you have a less complex method to avoid the couple pop up screen flashes (aka hiding the GUI) and still get startup and shutdown screens working? To clarify, this setup works perfectly for me, but I'd always appreciate a simpler approach when/if one exists

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, skizzosjt said:

this setup works perfectly for me, but I'd always appreciate a simpler approach when/if one exists

I use Duckstation QT (updated to the latest version) myself and for me Duckstation goes fullscreen smoothly. 

In the Duckstation General Settings I have "Start Fullscreen" unchecked (I use the -fullscreen command-line parameter). Also I have "Enable Fullscreen UI" and "Render to Main Window" checked. In "Display Settings" I use the "Hardware (Vulkan)" renderer with a 9x (4K) resolution scale. For me Duckstation plays nice with the LaunchBox Startup Screens also, with "Hide all windows that are not in Fullscreen exclusive Mode" checked or unchecked.

*edit*

After some testing I found that with "Render to Main Window" unchecked I did get some distortion, so try checking that.

Edited by Your Friendly A.I Overlord
  • Thanks 1

I'm not using the fullscreen parameter and I am using DX, looks like it was the default being the top most in the list. I'll try Vulkan since I got an AMD GPU, they seem to usually pair well together on emulators. I do have Render to Main window checked.  Drum roll please......🥁

Sweet, it works! 🎉 Now my problem is I cannot recreate the issue lmao because I wanted to figure out what change fixed it. Render API change doesn't matter, works with DX and Vulkan. I did my silly setup to hide GUI flashes and not get stuck on a blackscreen, but this looks even smoother at start up, immaculate actually....as intended of course. No reasonable explanation from me on wtf I did wrong initially to make the normal fullscreen parameters not work. I could have sworn I tried all this stuff without success hence why I wouldn't have used these intended developer designed methods, but glad they are working now after your advice. Either way, thanks for the help again Overlord!