LaunchBox Community Forums

Questions before I take the plunge

BigSchmid

Very noob to emulation and all things LB here. I have a few arcade cabinets and am highly considering going the LB route as an alternative to overpriced PCBs or a multi setup. So far, from my early returns on reading, LB seems less buggy and actually has a community behind it. 

My two biggest questions I need to have answered before I invest in LB and all that comes with it:

1 - How does LB play with driving games and shooting games on an HD cab? If I want shooting games playable with a mouse and driving games playable with a usb controller, will I have the options allowed to customize controls to that extent in an arcade cabinet? I guess, also to this end, if one choose to run LB in a Namco Noir HD cab, how current of games are we looking at being able to add? How obscure? 
2 - Is there any build of LB or anything anywhere that will make LB compatible with a 31 hz arcade monitor? I would like to play Naomi and Atomiswave games in a cab specific to the time frame those games came out. Which means CRT 31 hz. But how does that blend with emulation? Where are we with this as a concept? Can it be done?

Okay, I lied. I had more than two questions. Apologies. Here's the last one - how much can you edit romlists? Say I download MAME games and I only want shmups and I want them to be arcade board specific in folders. Do I get the option of doing that or do the roms have to sit in a larger MAME folder? I would like to customize the hell out of MAME if given the chance.

Anywho, thanks to anyone who took the time to read this much and know that ANY insight you provide will help determine my future with LB. Thanks!

First off you need to understand LaunchBox is a front end NOT the emulator playing the games. You're first two would be emulator questions as they handle all game input and display settings. LaunchBox doesn't care about your screen refresh rate.

Third item answer is yes, you can organize your collection however you want. Put them in their own platform, playlist, etc so that you can navigate to them how you want.

53 minutes ago, BigSchmid said:

1 - How does LB play with driving games and shooting games on an HD cab? If I want shooting games playable with a mouse and driving games playable with a usb controller, will I have the options allowed to customize controls to that extent in an arcade cabinet? I guess, also to this end, if one choose to run LB in a Namco Noir HD cab, how current of games are we looking at being able to add? How obscure? 

LB has nothing to do with in game controls. That is all handled by emulators directly. As long as the emulator will allow you to set per game controls (like Mame and RA can) then you are good. In short, LB simply sends the command line to the emulator to have it launch the game you select.

How current of games can be run depends on how good of a CPU and in some cases a GPU your set-up has. Which then falls back on the capability of the emulator to actually run the game.

LB is merely the "launcher" and the game presentation program. It can launch anything that can accept command line prompts.

2 - Is there any build of LB or anything anywhere that will make LB compatible with a 31 hz arcade monitor? I would like to play Naomi and Atomiswave games in a cab specific to the time frame those games came out. Which means CRT 31 hz. But how does that blend with emulation? Where are we with this as a concept? Can it be done?

This like #1 is emulator related.

Okay, I lied. I had more than two questions. Apologies. Here's the last one - how much can you edit romlists? Say I download MAME games and I only want shmups and I want them to be arcade board specific in folders. Do I get the option of doing that or do the roms have to sit in a larger MAME folder? I would like to customize the hell out of MAME if given the chance.

Yes, you can organize how you desire. LB can handle any folder structure. You may need to tell some emulators where to find the games. Like Mame for example. It requires you to enter the path of the rom library/libraries.