LaunchBox Community Forums

Another Neo Geo issue...

Phangtonpower

I seem to be having problems with Neo Geo roms loading on a windows computer. The roms open fine on retroarch and I even have the games on my RG351mp. 
I've read through the forums. Made sure the file path names are correct, the extract files unchecked, tried all the cores, but still no go. 

Not sure what pictures I'm supposed to take, but took a bunch. 
Any help would be appreciated.

1470882071_20221012_2236271.jpg

819340455_20221012_2236491.jpg

654046165_20221012_2236591.jpg

913744223_20221012_2238421.jpg

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Your trying to use a cps version of the core for neogeo.

That was the last core I tried, but I went through them all. The only one that seemed to work was fbneo_libretro, but once opened, it would either play the preview video, or if I choose version it would read "romset unknown" The picture was just to show what options I have for cores. I'm new to all this so please forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about.

On 10/12/2022 at 10:11 AM, Phangtonpower said:

That was the last core I tried, but I went through them all. The only one that seemed to work was fbneo_libretro, but once opened, it would either play the preview video, or if I choose version it would read "romset unknown" The picture was just to show what options I have for cores. I'm new to all this so please forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about.

If it's playing a preview video, you may have accidentally imported a preview video into LaunchBox, instead of the ROM.

However, based on what you are saying here, you should first figure out what ROMset your files came from. That would be pretty important to determine. You said that they work inside of RetroArch, do you remember which core you have working for them?

17 hours ago, faeran said:

If it's playing a preview video, you may have accidentally imported a preview video into LaunchBox, instead of the ROM.

However, based on what you are saying here, you should first figure out what ROMset your files came from. That would be pretty important to determine. You said that they work inside of RetroArch, do you remember which core you have working for them?

I'm really not sure what rom set it came from. I found a set of roms that work for the RG351mp. I don't know the rules, but I can link were I got them from, or is there a way to figure out the rom set? On retroarch it runs on finalburn neo. I haven't tried different cores on retroarch. I just run the games and it plays. 

12 hours ago, Phangtonpower said:

I'm really not sure what rom set it came from. I found a set of roms that work for the RG351mp. I don't know the rules, but I can link were I got them from, or is there a way to figure out the rom set? On retroarch it runs on finalburn neo. I haven't tried different cores on retroarch. I just run the games and it plays. 

If they work in RetroArch using the fbneo core, then you should have luck setting it up that way in LaunchBox. 

Make sure RetroArch has an entry for the exact name of your Neo Geo platform under the Associated Platforms tab, then set it to use the fbneo core, and make sure the Extract ROMs checkbox is not checked.

The first screenshots you posted may have also indicated that you imported the ROMs incorrectly. During the ROM importer wizard, you would want to make sure you check the option to Force using MAME metadata, and the Force importing duplicate games, just in case you already imported some of these games in another arcade pack. On the MAME page, make sure you check to Import all clones, Check none of the skip game options, and uncheck the create playlists.

8 hours ago, faeran said:

If they work in RetroArch using the fbneo core, then you should have luck setting it up that way in LaunchBox. 

Make sure RetroArch has an entry for the exact name of your Neo Geo platform under the Associated Platforms tab, then set it to use the fbneo core, and make sure the Extract ROMs checkbox is not checked.

The first screenshots you posted may have also indicated that you imported the ROMs incorrectly. During the ROM importer wizard, you would want to make sure you check the option to Force using MAME metadata, and the Force importing duplicate games, just in case you already imported some of these games in another arcade pack. On the MAME page, make sure you check to Import all clones, Check none of the skip game options, and uncheck the create playlists.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Looks like I imported things wrong. Retried importing and it seems to be working ok!