LaunchBox Community Forums

Quick question on custom emulator/core

KTxDZ

Hey all. 

Question regarding adding a custom emulator and/or core. I'm attempting to play DOOM and DOOM II through the prBoom core via. RetroArch. There's no option for the core on LaunchBox and when trying to add a custom rom path, I receive the follow message:

Android content activity not found exception: unable to find explicit activity class {com.retroarch.aarch64/prboom_libretro_android.so}; have you declared this in activity in the you AndroidManifest.xml

^ am I to change some text in the above XML file? If so, what part and to what?

The current custom rom path is as followed:

Custom Emulator Package Name: com.retroarch.aarch64

Custom Emulator Activity Name: prboom_libretro_android.so

Custom Emulator ROM Path Key: /storage/DED6-605F/01_SYSTEMS/DOS/Games/DOOM II (1994)/DOOMII/DOOM2.WAD

The game runs through RetroArch fine. I am just stumped to have it run through LaunchBox via the prBoom core.

TIA 🫶

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 1:40 PM, KTxDZ said:

Hey all. 

Question regarding adding a custom emulator and/or core. I'm attempting to play DOOM and DOOM II through the prBoom core via. RetroArch. There's no option for the core on LaunchBox and when trying to add a custom rom path, I receive the follow message:

Android content activity not found exception: unable to find explicit activity class {com.retroarch.aarch64/prboom_libretro_android.so}; have you declared this in activity in the you AndroidManifest.xml

^ am I to change some text in the above XML file? If so, what part and to what?

The current custom rom path is as followed:

Custom Emulator Package Name: com.retroarch.aarch64

Custom Emulator Activity Name: prboom_libretro_android.so

Custom Emulator ROM Path Key: /storage/DED6-605F/01_SYSTEMS/DOS/Games/DOOM II (1994)/DOOMII/DOOM2.WAD

The game runs through RetroArch fine. I am just stumped to have it run through LaunchBox via the prBoom core.

TIA 🫶

Unfortunately it may not be possible right now to run a custom RetroArch core, because of the way that RetroArch works. We've tried to make sure that all possible cores are available, but you may have found an issue here. We do have plans to add an option for custom RetroArch cores, but as of right now, I don't believe that will work.

• 2 months later...

Is there any development on the ability to add custom core when defining custom emulator as retroarch?

Another popular front end had it figured out with the following configuration:

Package: com.retroarch

Activity: com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture

RetroArch core: scummvm_libretro_android.so

File path key: ROM

With this configuration in the other front-end you can directly start a ScummVM game.

In case somebody else is struggling with running ScummVM games via Launchbox 1.8 like me here are some things I was able to figure out :

- Currently the scummvm is added as an emulator of choice in the wrong platform type. Currently it is in the SNES emulator list.

- If you try to "Import Games" there is no option for ScummVM games, but if you add one game at a time via "Add Game" and select scummvm as a platform it works and it will even create "ScummVM" platform under "Computers"

- If you try to start a game using ScummVM for android as emulator it will only open ScummVM interface, but it won't start the game directly.

- If you try to start a game which required KYRA.DAT via Retroarch/ScummVM currently it doesn't work regardless where you put the file (in the game folder, in systems folder of retroarch) and regardless if you are using the recommended version of kyra.dat 2.1.1. Same games would work perfectly if you have the kyra.dat file in the game folder and run it via ScummVM for android.

• 1 month later...