LaunchBox Community Forums

Arcade roms work in RetroArch but not in Launchbox

Winz

First I would like to mention that I have gone to the "associated platforms" tab and selected "Arcade" games to use the fbneo_libretro core.

So, I have a handful of non merged roms meant to be run using FB Neo 1.0.0.3.  They run great when launched directly from RetroArch using FinalBurn Neo. However, I cannot get them to run by launching them through Launchbox.  As I mentioned, I selected "Arcade" platform games to run using the fbneo_libretro core on the "associated platforms" tab. I have also double checked that the games are actually under the "Arcade" platform. When launched through Launchbox, some version of FB Neo does launch, but I get a grey error screen stating "Romset is unknown".

Some Pictures:

https://imgur.io/a/kcUOuCx

https://imgur.io/a/BLG558X

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Winz said:

First I would like to mention that I have gone to the "associated platforms" tab and selected "Arcade" games to use the fbneo_libretro core.

So, I have a handful of non merged roms meant to be run using FB Neo 1.0.0.3.  They run great when launched directly from RetroArch using FinalBurn Neo. However, I cannot get them to run by launching them through Launchbox.  As I mentioned, I selected "Arcade" platform games to run using the fbneo_libretro core on the "associated platforms" tab. I have also double checked that the games are actually under the "Arcade" platform. When launched through Launchbox, some version of FB Neo does launch, but I get a grey error screen stating "Romset is unknown".

Some Pictures:

https://imgur.io/a/kcUOuCx

https://imgur.io/a/BLG558X

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You have Launchbox set to extract the roms in one of your images, arcade roms should NEVER be extracted. Also FYI, you can just drag and drop images to the window you type into to show them with your post rather than linking to a external website that most people just wont click on.

• 8 months later...
On 11/11/2022 at 9:34 PM, neil9000 said:

You have Launchbox set to extract the roms in one of your images, arcade roms should NEVER be extracted. Also FYI, you can just drag and drop images to the window you type into to show them with your post rather than linking to a external website that most people just wont click on.

I don't believe this is true, the way launchbox manage the rom database for arcade files associated with fbneo using retroarch loading in launchbox causes this problem and moving the rom files and readding the arcade/ NEO GEO AES / NEO GEO CD fbneo should fix it (that is if unticking unzipped doesn't work, in my case only worked for AES). All still run in standalone retroarch or standalone FB Neo Nightly for example. it is a problem with i Think nov 2022 update of launchbox.

21 minutes ago, Stoogie said:

I don't believe this is true, the way launchbox manage the rom database for arcade files associated with fbneo using retroarch loading in launchbox causes this problem and moving the rom files and readding the arcade/ NEO GEO AES / NEO GEO CD fbneo should fix it (that is if unticking unzipped doesn't work, in my case only worked for AES). All still run in standalone retroarch or standalone FB Neo Nightly for example. it is a problem with i Think nov 2022 update of launchbox.

Yeah I am going to say no. The LB update is not an issue. Something is likely not set up correctly in your LB. Neil's answer is correct because in the original post the user checked the box to extract and Mame roms should never be extracted. 

LB does not manage any rom database in relation to fbneo and Retroarch. Errors when running these within LB are do to a set-up issue. 

19 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Yeah I am going to say no. The LB update is not an issue. Something is likely not set up correctly in your LB. Neil's answer is correct because in the original post the user checked the box to extract and Mame roms should never be extracted. 

LB does not manage any rom database in relation to fbneo and Retroarch. Errors when running these within LB are do to a set-up issue. 

You are correct, my apologies for being wrong.
In the end it always comes around to romsets for this issue.
The reason standalone application works(most roms depends on merged/unmerged/your romset) on an automated front(including on amberelec) is because it generates and uses a shared romset(shared meaning it can work with quite a lot of roms regardless), Retroarch doesn't however.
So there is nothing wrong with Launchbox, Retroarch is a bit bad in dealing with romsets but the biggest issue is how Final Burn Neo is developed and created to work.
FBneo is very user unfriendly and poorly designed and implemented and this is the biggest flawed emulator today out of all of them (arcade is the worst to get working), if only a proper programmer can program FBNeo to be user friendly with a self automated rom database scan and setup while taking in all variables (emulator version, romtype, rom game and prerequisites, all rebuilds, from a online database for example) (so basically like FBNeo Nightly which does most roms like what I just described but also with the ability to fix the remainder that are marked with a red circle of unavailability due to incorrect romset)

That way more people can use it instead of just the "elitist trolls who "just" say to you to require a programming degree" /sarcasm
Otherwise mostly all will give up.

I have also read forum posts from the FBNeo devs which show elitism/immaturity, also the "THIS IS NOT A BUG" on the fbneo screen when romsets fail is also an indicator of this personality, not someone to be able to get along with, which is a detriment to emulator development as they refuse to fix the end user experience.

Edit: I have seen hundreds of romset issue posts on lots of forums, theres quite a few here on launchbox too, it is a common complaint

Edited by Stoogie