LaunchBox Community Forums

Games Folders Default Location

Ultra God Azgorath

Hi guys.

I'm not sure if this is classified as a feature request as it's merely a suggestion for a minor change in a current LB setting so apologies if this isn't supposed to be here. So currently whenever we import a new platform in launchbox, the "Game" folder path under the "Folders" Tab under the "Edit Platform" window is set to "Games\*Platform Name*" by default, regardless of the directory that we imported the roms from and as a result, when we tell LB to scan for added roms, no games will pick up unless either our roms are in the "Games" folder in the LB folder or we manually change the game folder path to where our roms are. Would it be possible to change that in a future update so that the game folder location in LB settings will be set to the directory that we imported the roms from when we first imported the platform by default instead of having to change each and every platform game folder location manually?

18 hours ago, Azgorath said:

Hi guys.

I'm not sure if this is classified as a feature request as it's merely a suggestion for a minor change in a current LB setting so apologies if this isn't supposed to be here. So currently whenever we import a new platform in launchbox, the "Game" folder path under the "Folders" Tab under the "Edit Platform" window is set to "Games\*Platform Name*" by default, regardless of the directory that we imported the roms from and as a result, when we tell LB to scan for added roms, no games will pick up unless either our roms are in the "Games" folder in the LB folder or we manually change the game folder path to where our roms are. Would it be possible to change that in a future update so that the game folder location in LB settings will be set to the directory that we imported the roms from when we first imported the platform by default instead of having to change each and every platform game folder location manually?

If I'm reading this right (and sorry if I'm not), this is actually already an option. During the import, you have the option to Copy/Move files into the Games folder, or use the files in their current location.

You'd want to choose the option to use the files in their current location.

1 hour ago, faeran said:

If I'm reading this right (and sorry if I'm not), this is actually already an option. During the import, you have the option to Copy/Move files into the Games folder, or use the files in their current location.

You'd want to choose the option to use the files in their current location.

Hi Faeran. Yes I always select the option to use them in their current location. Whenever I download roms I first put them in a specific platform directory on a different hard drive than my LB drive and then I import them in LB from that directory and keep them in the same current location during import but adding a new platform defaults the folder location to the "Games" folder within the LB folder instead of the "Roms" folder on my other hard drive where I store my roms unless I manually edit the games folder location.

6 minutes ago, Azgorath said:

Hi Faeran. Yes I always select the option to use them in their current location. Whenever I download roms I first put them in a specific platform directory on a different hard drive than my LB drive and then I import them in LB from that directory and keep them in the same current location during import but adding a new platform defaults the folder location to the "Games" folder within the LB folder instead of the "Roms" folder on my other hard drive where I store my roms unless I manually edit the games folder location.

What version of LaunchBox are you on? There was an update at some point that makes it so any new platform imports that happen will now set the default games folder for you based on the location of where your ROMs are located. I just tried it out and it's still working well.

1 minute ago, faeran said:

What version of LaunchBox are you on? There was an update at some point that makes it so any new platform imports that happen will now set the default games folder for you based on the location of where your ROMs are located. I just tried it out and it's still working well.

The latest 13.0. If it's working, maybe it's my LB setup. I'll reinstall LB and start from scratch and try it again. Will keep you updated. Thx.