LaunchBox Community Forums

Activating XAML Files In Existing Theme

flanx

I have a question regarding view XAML files, specifically the GameMarqueeView.xaml file. I've created a custom marquee view that has conditional settings that will display official arcade marquees when an arcade game is selected and display custom console game marquees for any other type of game selected. I really like the look of the Unified Refried theme and tried to copy my GameMarqueeView.xaml to the themes view directory, but its not displaying. I have a feeling the overall theme is not programmed to use that file. Is there any way to get it to recognize / use my file? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

14 minutes ago, flanx said:

I have a question regarding view XAML files, specifically the GameMarqueeView.xaml file. I've created a custom marquee view that has conditional settings that will display official arcade marquees when an arcade game is selected and display custom console game marquees for any other type of game selected. I really like the look of the Unified Refried theme and tried to copy my GameMarqueeView.xaml to the themes view directory, but its not displaying. I have a feeling the overall theme is not programmed to use that file. Is there any way to get it to recognize / use my file? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

All themes will use BB default marquee settings unless a GameMarqueeView.xaml and/or PlatformMarqueeView.xaml is present in the theme's \Views folder. Those 2 files, if in the theme's views folder, will override BB default marquee use. There is no setting you need to check it should just read the xaml. 

Do you have the files in the correct folder and are they named correctly?

Perhaps post a pic of the inside of the theme's view folder. 

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

All themes will use BB default marquee settings unless a GameMarqueeView.xaml and/or PlatformMarqueeView.xaml is present in the theme's \Views folder. Those 2 files, if in the theme's views folder, will override BB default marquee use. There is no setting you need to check it should just read the xaml. 

Do you have the files in the correct folder and are they named correctly?

Perhaps post a pic of the inside of the theme's view folder. 

Thank you for the response. Here is a screenshot of the Unified Refried theme Views directory.

Untitled.png

I am actually incorrect, partially about there not being a setting in BB. There actually is an option to "Ignore Theme Marquee Views" however, I think that is off by default. In BB go to setting age then Options > Marquee Screen and make sure that option is not turned on. If it was then that was likely the issue. 

11 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I am actually incorrect, partially about there not being a setting in BB. There actually is an option to "Ignore Theme Marquee Views" however, I think that is off by default. In BB go to setting age then Options > Marquee Screen and make sure that option is not turned on. If it was then that was likely the issue. 

Yes, I've confirmed that option is not enabled. All I have thats enabled in that menu is to stretch the marquees to full screen.

Is there any way I can replace the core GameMarqueeView file? Or is there a checksum to verify the file? Like if I replace the GameMarqueeView file in the Default theme folder will it just replace my file with the correct one when BB loads?

10 minutes ago, flanx said:

Is there any way I can replace the core GameMarqueeView file? Or is there a checksum to verify the file? Like if I replace the GameMarqueeView file in the Default theme folder will it just replace my file with the correct one when BB loads?

The Default theme folder would not affect other themes. Also you can never alter/change the default theme as it will always revert to it stock coding to prevent the Default theme from corrupting. 

Have you tried dropping your Marquee view files in another theme and testing? It could be an issue with Refried. That theme is old and has not been updated in a couple years. 

The only thing that would override a custom theme's marquee view file is that setting you confirmed is off. 

21 minutes ago, flanx said:

I have. If the Theme has the GameMarqueeView file in the folder already and I replace it, it will work. So I wasn't sure if there was a way to enable the theme to utilize that file, but it seems there isn't.

It would not matter if the theme has a GameMarqueeView.xaml file already or not. As long as you add one in or replace the original BB is designed to read it. 

So if you use your specific GameMarqueeView file in a theme other than Unified Refried that other theme shows your Marquee view file correct?

If you use it in Unified Refried it does not show, correct?

I just downloaded Unified Refried 2.0 and tested with a custom marquee view I use and no issue. Refried is showing it fine. 

Try downloading a fresh Refried. Maybe something is corrupt. 

32 minutes ago, flanx said:

Ok, I'll try that. When you downloaded the theme, did you use the theme manager in BB or did you download it from the forums and add it manually?

Forum. Many times the theme manager version is outdated as the creator sometimes forgets to submit it to our devs to test. 

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but when I have my file in the views folder of the theme it only displays a black screen (1920x360 monitor used for active marquees). Without my file, it shows the static vanilla banner / marquee images. I've attached my xaml file if someone wants to try it or sees an issue with how its configured. It works with the Unified CTC theme I created it with, but doesn't seem to want to work with any other theme.

GameMarqueeView.xaml

I think I see the issue. You cannot drop a CTC coded theme view file into a non-CTC coded theme and have it work. Non-CTC themes would be missing plugins Dave uses in the CTC to create themes. 

You could possibly copy the plugins folder from the theme when the marquee view was published and paste it into Refried and test. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I think I see the issue. You cannot drop a CTC coded theme view file into a non-CTC coded theme and have it work. Non-CTC themes would be missing plugins Dave uses in the CTC to create themes. 

You could possibly copy the plugins folder from the theme when the marquee view was published and paste it into Refried and test. 

Thats exactly what it was. I copied over the plugins and the marquees show now. Thanks so much for your help, I have been racking my brain for the past week trying to figure it out. i thought the theme creator spit out universal files, I didn't realize it would generate different plugins. Thats good to know. Again, thank you for your help, it was much appreciated. This community is amazing.

• Like 1