LaunchBox Community Forums

LB for Android is arguably the only saving grace for handheld gaming

CLE

I have a ton of experience in "windows" emulation but decided to buy a Retroid RP3+ to tote around with me. 
My complaint isn't with the hardware - Android gaming just sucks.  Sucks, sucks sucks. 
Too many apps don't have an Exit programmed or allow a hotkey exit to be programmed. Like Citra and Lemuroid, they don't allow LB to play. 
I tried Diajisho and Retroids front end. Miserable experience - both suck for different reasons equally. Let's be lazy asses and rely on Retroach and/or offer core options that don't even exist or make you scroll for days and try to figure out if your stand alone emu is listed? Do we have the right to complain about a free product? Probably not. 
I've used LB for PC for several years now an figured I'd try the Android product. It is substantially better than either of the prior mentioned. After one day I was ready to sell my Retroid out of frustration but LB has made me reconsider. Nice job Jason and crew. Maybe someday the app devs in the world will make their products function like the real world ;)

2 hours ago, CLE said:

I have a ton of experience in "windows" emulation but decided to buy a Retroid RP3+ to tote around with me. 
My complaint isn't with the hardware - Android gaming just sucks.  Sucks, sucks sucks. 
Too many apps don't have an Exit programmed or allow a hotkey exit to be programmed. Like Citra and Lemuroid, they don't allow LB to play. 
I tried Diajisho and Retroids front end. Miserable experience - both suck for different reasons equally. Let's be lazy asses and rely on Retroach and/or offer core options that don't even exist or make you scroll for days and try to figure out if your stand alone emu is listed? Do we have the right to complain about a free product? Probably not. 
I've used LB for PC for several years now an figured I'd try the Android product. It is substantially better than either of the prior mentioned. After one day I was ready to sell my Retroid out of frustration but LB has made me reconsider. Nice job Jason and crew. Maybe someday the app devs in the world will make their products function like the real world ;)

Thanks @CLE. There are definitely good apps on Android for emulation, but I do agree that they are few and far between. For most platforms, RetroArch has single-handedly saved the entire experience, in all honesty. Without it, only a small handful of platforms would be worth emulating.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks @CLE. There are definitely good apps on Android for emulation, but I do agree that they are few and far between. For most platforms, RetroArch has single-handedly saved the entire experience, in all honesty. Without it, only a small handful of platforms would be worth emulating.

That commentary is sad in itself. I steer clear of RA at any cost and unfortunately it's unavoidable sometimes. Between buying your license and other stand alone apps I've spent almost as much as what I paid for the handheld itself. (insert burning money meme here)
You can believe RA saved the scene - but you deserve to share the spotlight and take a bow with them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CLE said:

That commentary is sad in itself. I steer clear of RA at any cost and unfortunately it's unavoidable sometimes. Between buying your license and other stand alone apps I've spent almost as much as what I paid for the handheld itself. (insert burning money meme here)
You can believe RA saved the scene - but you deserve to share the spotlight and take a bow with them. 

Retroarch also ruined the scene.  Because of it no one makes optimized emulators any more.  They just say "use retroarch".  That is fine but many cores run poorly on all but the most beastly hardware.  RA is made to be easy to port to everything under the sun but when I compare RA cores to standalone emulators made for the specific hardware the standalone is much smoother.    RA is so unoptimized that I have had frame drops on easy systems like Genesis.  Of course the UI for RA is atrocious also with it asking 25 questions to start a game and not remembering ROM paths but that is what Launchbox is for.   I am sure Jason loves the garbage RA UI...

Edited by DaveC1964