LaunchBox Community Forums

Need some help on the Nvidia Shield

Biberista

Not a complete Newbie as I already modded my mini consoles and previously ran Retroarch on my Shield. But a virgin when it comes to Launchbox 😉
I was able to install Launchbox(Premium) as well as Retroarch(64, sideload) and everything is up and running.
So far I've successfully added the following systems:
NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, N64, MS, MD, SegaCD, 32X, GG, DC, PS1, Atomiswave and Naomi.
Unfortunately, as expected, I'm running into problems with Mame, especially Capcom CPS 1-3 games.
Problem 1: Unable to add Dynasty Wars and Street Fighter 2 Turbo for CPS 1 as the upload dosent scan the ZIP files. Is there another way to add the games? The games are running in Retroarch, so i guess that the ZIPs are fine.
Problem 2: All CPS 3 games go black when I start them up in Launchbox. I run them trough Retroarch fba2012 CPS3 core and they work fine in Retorarch directly, but unfortunately not when I want to start them up out of Launchbox.
All in all i'm quite happy with Launchbox on my Shield, but these 2 problems dont let me sleep.
Help is appreciated

4 hours ago, Biberista said:

Problem 1: Unable to add Dynasty Wars and Street Fighter 2 Turbo for CPS 1 as the upload dosent scan the ZIP files. Is there another way to add the games? The games are running in Retroarch, so i guess that the ZIPs are fine.

The only reason I can think of where a file doesn't get imported is if it's already imported and in your library somewhere. To test this theory out, turn on the option to "Force Import Duplicate Games that Already Exist in Your Collection...". If you see the games listed in the import, then this is what the issue is.

4 hours ago, Biberista said:

Problem 2: All CPS 3 games go black when I start them up in Launchbox. I run them trough Retroarch fba2012 CPS3 core and they work fine in Retorarch directly, but unfortunately not when I want to start them up out of Launchbox.

Not really sure here. That core is for a really old version of a set that doesn't really exist these days, so I'm assuming your files are from a set that is fairly old. Did you make sure in LaunchBox that it's launching into the right version of RetroArch and using the same core that works when launching directly in RetroArch? You will also need to disable the option to "Extract ROM Archives", if it's on, as Arcade games don't like it when you do that.

13 hours ago, faeran said:

The only reason I can think of where a file doesn't get imported is if it's already imported and in your library somewhere. To test this theory out, turn on the option to "Force Import Duplicate Games that Already Exist in Your Collection...". If you see the games listed in the import, then this is what the issue is.

That dosen't seem to be the issue. I tried out several things tonight and i was able to force the import of Dynasty Wars(dw.zip) and Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting (sf2t.zip) by unchecking "use mame data base". However, even when I fill out all game data with the exact informations available on the Homepage Launchbox DB, I couldn't find the games in the Database and even worse, Launchbox chrashed several times when triying to do so. I now have 2 working games, each with a game video found in the Emu Movies DB but no matching logos, boxart and more due to the fact that the Launchbox DB dosen't find the game.

Is this a bug?

13 hours ago, faeran said:

Not really sure here. That core is for a really old version of a set that doesn't really exist these days, so I'm assuming your files are from a set that is fairly old. Did you make sure in LaunchBox that it's launching into the right version of RetroArch and using the same core that works when launching directly in RetroArch? You will also need to disable the option to "Extract ROM Archives", if it's on, as Arcade games don't like it when you do that.

THis one is solved as I finally found an emulator in Retroarch that does run the games and doesn't crash when starting them. The core is fbneo 🙂

6 hours ago, Biberista said:

That dosen't seem to be the issue. I tried out several things tonight and i was able to force the import of Dynasty Wars(dw.zip) and Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting (sf2t.zip) by unchecking "use mame data base". However, even when I fill out all game data with the exact informations available on the Homepage Launchbox DB, I couldn't find the games in the Database and even worse, Launchbox chrashed several times when triying to do so. I now have 2 working games, each with a game video found in the Emu Movies DB but no matching logos, boxart and more due to the fact that the Launchbox DB dosen't find the game.

Is this a bug?

That makes sense then, as both of those file names aren't part of the current MAME filename standards. As far as LaunchBox crashing, it might be a bug. I just tried it on my device and can't get it to crash at all, so it might be device specific, or user data specific. I don't have an Nvidia Shield to test this out on, but I know other people in the community do.

6 hours ago, Biberista said:

THis one is solved as I finally found an emulator in Retroarch that does run the games and doesn't crash when starting them. The core is fbneo 🙂

That's good to hear. the fbneo core is definitely the way to go if you have a set that works with it.

2 hours ago, faeran said:

That makes sense then, as both of those file names aren't part of the current MAME filename standards. As far as LaunchBox crashing, it might be a bug. I just tried it on my device and can't get it to crash at all, so it might be device specific, or user data specific. I don't have an Nvidia Shield to test this out on, but I know other people in the community do.

I just googeld the current names of the games in 0.251 and they indeed have other names. I assume that I could just rename the zips accordingly and then the DB will recognize them?

59 minutes ago, Biberista said:

I just googeld the current names of the games in 0.251 and they indeed have other names. I assume that I could just rename the zips accordingly and then the DB will recognize them?

yeah, would definitely then recognize them, you'd have to tell me whether that messes with actually playing them or not. 

1 hour ago, faeran said:

yeah, would definitely then recognize them, you'd have to tell me whether that messes with actually playing them or not. 

Ok, i've imported them with changed name and the DB recognized them. I then downloaded all the arts for the games and finally I renamed the zips back to the original names as i couldn't run them with the new names. Then i changed the path in the metadata and now i'm a happy man 🙂

Kind of tricking the DB 😉

Edited by Biberista

I am not sure if you knew that or tried it already, but after the games are imported (and not recognized by the LB database) you can then temporarily change the search name when looking them up in the LB database, so just put the new names in there, once you found the match in the LB database you accept it, download the arts, then you can revert the game name to whatever you want, while never having to touch the rom name itself.

20 hours ago, Flyojumper said:

I am not sure if you knew that or tried it already, but after the games are imported (and not recognized by the LB database) you can then temporarily change the search name when looking them up in the LB database, so just put the new names in there, once you found the match in the LB database you accept it, download the arts, then you can revert the game name to whatever you want, while never having to touch the rom name itself.

Thanks, you mean if i put the correct file name in the game title that the DB will find it this way? 

Didn't try that before.

Another question:

I guess that I need another USB with 512GB instead of the 256GB that I'm currently using.

Can I just copy over the Launchbox folder or are there any complications to be expected?

Edited by Biberista

5 minutes ago, Biberista said:

Thanks, you mean if i put the correct file name in the game title that the DB will find it this way? 

Didn't try that before.

Another question:

I guess that I need another USB with 512GB instead of the 256GB that I'm currently using.

Can I just copy over the Launchbox folder or are there any complications to be expected?

Check options for Data Folder setting. Once you have your LaunchBox folder moved, used that setting to point to the new location.

2 hours ago, faeran said:

Check options for Data Folder setting. Once you have your LaunchBox folder moved, used that setting to point to the new location.

Launchbox recognized the new USB and put it automaticaly in the data folder. Unfortunately all the paths to the games remain on the old USB. I guess that I need to change them manually, or just delete all and import them again?

1 hour ago, Flyojumper said:

Yep, if you fiddle around with the search field you can find the right match while never having to alter the rom name itself.

Funny as I looked up several games that way by key words, but that didn't work for those two. 

As I probably have to reimport all the games, I qill tey it with the current zip names before I trick LB again 🙂

Edited by Biberista

58 minutes ago, Biberista said:

Launchbox recognized the new USB and put it automaticaly in the data folder. Unfortunately all the paths to the games remain on the old USB. I guess that I need to change them manually, or just delete all and import them again?

You can change this on a per-platform basis. Go into a platform, open up the corner menu and choose Change ROM Folder Paths.