LaunchBox Community Forums

Completionists lament.

Is there some way to compare your rom collection against the LB database in order to find missing or needed files?

This is a trivial matter to complete manually for small databases but some database platforms have a huge number of entries that get added to on a regular basis. Two years ago I added the Amstrad CPC platform to LB and can see that this database has been substantially increased since then. I know that I can rescan to update any added or updated artwork to my existing collection but there does not seem to be any way to ascertain newly added or missing software entries against my current collection.

Most collectors, like myself, have a completionist or pedantic streak and this lack of this facility drives me, and I assume them, nuts. Half of the fun for me is tracking down missing software or artwork.

Maybe this functionality already exists and I have missed it. Please help.

That would require the LaunchBox database storing hashes of all possibly know game files, which is a bit of a nightmare and probably crosses the line of linking LaunchBox to dumped ROM files.

Honestly, for completionism, that's what Redump, No-Intro and TOSEC databases are for. Use their dat files with clrmamepro or another ROM manager to compare against your local collection.

It would not be necessary to match them against the hashes or crc’s just the names of the file. As far as completionism, I really would like to get an idea of the titles I have missing in relation to the database not every file available for that platform. I already have the the full TOSEC and No-Intro sets.

The problem is finding new additions and missing titles in huge platforms that have thousands of entries. There is already a mechanism to upload your collection and that flags missing cover artwork. It surely can’t be to much more difficult to flag missing games as well.

I’m certainly not complaining about LB I think it is a fantastic way to collect and categorise old and new software and artwork. It would just be nice to have someway to ensure your collection is current with the constantly changing database.

Edited by MarkRMWalker

• 2 months later...