LaunchBox Community Forums

Is 2 BigBox Instances on 1 PC Possible

OldSkool8bit

Hey community I have a quick question. I have BigBox installed on my PC with my collection on it. I have been fighting with Light Gun games for a whiel and have thought about getting a drive with the games already programmed as well as auto turn on/off scripts for Sinden (which if you have Sinden know this can be a pain). The LG games comes on a drive tied to a pre-installed BigBox instance. What my thought was I could have the BigBox already installed on my PC, and then have the LG game drive on another one. I could then just write a script to switch from BigBox on my PC to run the BigBox.exe (w/ LG) on the new drive.

I know what you are thinking, why not just move the games from the LG drive over to your BigBox...I asked and apparently the way the LG drive is set up it has too many scripts which will break if they are moved or if I add additional folders to it.

Sinden doesn't work well with plug n play setups unless it's from a Batocera build, which Batocera natively will be the closest to plug n play you will get.  Not the most optimal but good for a beginner to play some games. (Just need to get your own roms to add on to it).  Your drive is tied with however it came when you bought it.  Those scripts are tied to each emulator and if it's goes into Teknoparrot or American Laser Games those scripts are tied to, you will break your setup.  Rule of thumb, when buying a prebuilt hard drive, don't mess with it, use it as intended.   To your actual question, i run 3 instances of Launchbox (One for Main use, LG Setup and testing/misc use) Just have to rename your root launchbox folder something different than your Regular Launchbox folder (e.g. Launchbox LG).  Also if you proceed to do what you suggested, create a backup folder for all your files in your paid drive.  If case you do mess something up and can't reverse the issues, you can delete and start again with the backup folder. Good luck.