LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame cores

I've been reading that different rom sets use different cores. 

I have a problem though. I have one 8tb drive download with mame games, and a 1tb artax 4.1 drive that I want to pull games from and use as well. There may be copies from different both drives with different mame sets, and there may be games that aren't from the same drive/aren't copies but use different cores. For instance...I have, let's say street fighter alpha 2 that uses 2.19, and then I have street fighter alpha 3 that uses 2.53. 

The problem for me is using Playlist such as "CPS-2" or Fighting, or Arcade, where launchbox requires to specify an emulator to be used. I can't add multiple Mame cores for specific roms, or at least I don't know how to, and even so, I'd have to find out which rom is compatible with which core, then assign it with each specific rom.

Is there software that run mame roms while neglecting the specific cores? Or software that will detect the romset and launch/pair with that specific core so I don't have to go hunting for things I don't need?

Does retroarch do this? I notice it has all the multiple mame cores, but do I have to assign them?

Please stop using Retroarch for mame, it is a collection of hacked up cores that have a lot of issues, and is not endorsed or made by anyone on the mamedev team, download the official mame from mame.dev and and use the corresponding rom set. Mame on retroarch is a complete mess and will only invite trouble at a later date. Never mix and match versions of roms/app this will cut down on 99% of issues..

Edited by MadK9
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, MadK9 said:

Please stop using Retroarch for mame, it is a collection of hacked up cores that have a lot of issues, and is not endorsed or made by anyone on the mamedev team, download the official mame from mame.dev and and use the corresponding rom set. Mame on retroarch is a complete mess and will only invite trouble at a later date. Never mix and match versions of roms/app this will cut down on 99% of issues..

I haven't used retroarch for mame yet. I have never used retroarch ever. I am just trying to find a solution. Since some of my roms are mixed w/other versions of mame, I am trying to find a solution. I have 3 different versions of mame. 2.19, 2.3x (can't remember the exact, I just know its 2.3) and the most recent 2.53. The 2.19 comes from the 8tb drive. the 2.3 comes from the 1tb drive. and the most recent one i downloaded for troubleshooting purposes. I didn't know it was required to match roms w/emulators. That is a first for me. My apologies. So, again, is there a solution to this, or should I just re-download updated roms?

6 minutes ago, Rock Hardcheese said:

I haven't used retroarch for mame yet. I have never used retroarch ever. I am just trying to find a solution. Since some of my roms are mixed w/other versions of mame, I am trying to find a solution. I have 3 different versions of mame. 2.19, 2.3x (can't remember the exact, I just know its 2.3) and the most recent 2.53. The 2.19 comes from the 8tb drive. the 2.3 comes from the 1tb drive. and the most recent one i downloaded for troubleshooting purposes. I didn't know it was required to match roms w/emulators. That is a first for me. My apologies. So, again, is there a solution to this, or should I just re-download updated roms?

just use the latest romset with the latest version of the mame emulator 0.253 from the mame website, just delete the older romsets there is zero reason to have three different versions.