LaunchBox Community Forums

Screen cuts out any time a new option is selected on screen.

jmwilson4747

Having a problem with big box where my screen cuts out any time a change is made on screen. So if I'm viewing my platform wheel and move it up or down the screen will go black for a few seconds then come back on, I don't lose sound, only video. Or if I press escape to get to the menu the same thing happens. I tried plugging into a different port on my video card and swapping monitor cables but neither worked long. I don't believe its a video card problem because it doesn't happen at all while running any other software or videos. Any thoughts to what could be causing this? Windows 10 machine, gpu is AMD RX570.

12 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Does it happen with every theme or just that one? I don't believe I've seen that issue before.

It happens with every theme and every user initiated change to the screen. I did find out the problem occurs every time the computer is shut off. When I reboot the computer this will happen, (again only with BigBox) until I unplug the monitor and plug it back in. Then it seems everything works as designed. I can open and close BigBox all day with no issues until I completely shut down and reboot. Otherwise I can watch 4k or play other games outside of BigBox without issue.

Does Windows play the disconnect sound when that happens? Sounds like there is something weird going on with the monitor but I'm not entirely sure how best to troubleshoot that. I've never seen anything like this reported. Only suggestions I have right now is just the standard stuff: Check video drivers, open command prompt as admin and run "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) and see if the system repair fixes anything. Also if you don't already can install/repair your Direct X (I believe WPF will default too 12 if you have it).

• Like 1

Looks like its changing resolutions somehow, or input modes. The lack of a disconnect sound would lead me to believe that it's not the video cable but I would still test it with another hdmi/DP cable just to be sure. I've had a alarming number of bad DP cables come packaged with various things I've bought over the years, that's usually the first thing i test before moving on to test the next thing. I'm trying to think of what else could even cause that...do you use Gsync or Freesync? Adaptive sync is a hit or miss in my opinion, it seems to work fine until you load up some games and then it does that right there endlessly, black screen for 2 secs then come back for 2 secs, repeat. Then you hear some people have no issue with it, I believe it has something to do with the monitor and how well it supports it. If you have a extra gpu laying around I would test that as well.

Edited by KingSlayer420

I have tried a new cable, with no change. I'm also not sure what gsync or freesync is but I can look into it and see. I built the pc about a year ago specifically for emulation. LB/BB and VC media player are the only programs on the machine other than the roms. When I built it, I tested it using the same monitor that I'm currently using and didn't have this problem while using a keyboard and mouse to scroll through. Then I moved and the cabinet build got put on hold until now. So now that I've finished the cabinet and controls I have this problem. I'm at a loss but the fact that I can unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in solves the problem until I reboot does lead me to believe it's hardware related not software. 

5 minutes ago, jmwilson4747 said:

I have tried a new cable, with no change. I'm also not sure what gsync or freesync is but I can look into it and see. I built the pc about a year ago specifically for emulation. LB/BB and VC media player are the only programs on the machine other than the roms. When I built it, I tested it using the same monitor that I'm currently using and didn't have this problem while using a keyboard and mouse to scroll through. Then I moved and the cabinet build got put on hold until now. So now that I've finished the cabinet and controls I have this problem. I'm at a loss but the fact that I can unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in solves the problem until I reboot does lead me to believe it's hardware related not software. 

What kind of gpu did you buy? was it new or used? I can help you test if its the GPU or not in a few ways, not gonna promise i'll get to the bottom of it but I can try my best. If you think your gpu is bad it usually shows itself by artifacting, which you would notice, or it will repeatedly crash the driver. When the driver crashes it goes black screen, until it reloads it, only to do it again. If that happens it will surely leave evidence of that in event viewer. If you ever noticed when you install updated gpu drivers your screen will go black, this is because it stops the driver for a short time and reloads it. Seems maybe like that might be happening because it will not play a sound just go black.

In order to use the adaptive sync stuff your monitor would have to support it or it wont show in the nvidia/amd control panel. I feel like you would know if you had that enabled because it wont do it on it's own, not with nvidia anyway which is all i have experience with when it comes to adaptive sync. I can walk you through that as well if you have nvidia gpu.