LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox on TV

ArmandVille

Hello Folks, 

I still build up a system on a windows 10 PC and use a 42" HD television. 

Now the whole thing looks very pixelated e. G. Game boy Advance

Where can I adjust something? On the 24" monizor it looks much smoother. I have tried another resolution with no effect 

Regards

23 minutes ago, ArmandVille said:

Hello Folks, 

I still build up a system on a windows 10 PC and use a 42" HD television. 

Now the whole thing looks very pixelated e. G. Game boy Advance

Where can I adjust something? On the 24" monizor it looks much smoother. I have tried another resolution with no effect 

Regards

The bigger the screen the worse it will look, and you cannot upscale pixel systems. GBA only has a resolution of 240x160 and is 3.2inchs, so will look bad on a large TV, that is if its only 1080p, that is 8x the resolution and 13x the size.

It's a fact that the bigger the TV/Monitor is the worse some of the older games look, I had a issue with this as well when I got bigger screens in my gaming room. You can smooth out pixels by using a shader, those are usually supported on most emulators and most definitely supported on retroarch. I personally don't like retroarch because of how disgusting the owner Twinaphex is/was to other people, but it has, by far, best shaders available so I use it just because of that. I use HSM mega bezel with Duimons amazing console graphics. It's easy to install and has changed the way I game, I use it for every console I emulate in RA. You can also just use simple shaders like 2xSal, etc (usually in video/display setting in emu) and it will help smooth out the pixels. Be warned that what was posted above is still correct, playing a game that was made to run at 240x160 on a 1080+ screen will still show it's flaws. I posted a random screenshot of mega bezel in action with its default settings to see if it's what your looking for. You can customize it in a astounding amount of ways as well to get it looking just how you want.

Castlevania_ Aria of Sorrow-01.png

Edited by KingSlayer420

It changes everything! once i installed it I never looked back, anybody that enjoys it as much as we do should say thanks to duimon and hsm in the threads, they really like that and are very nice to any new users. They spent some years doing all that and it shows. its nice to see a fellow mega bezel user, I feel it doesnt get the attention it deserves.

Edited by KingSlayer420

1 hour ago, KingSlayer420 said:

It's a fact that the bigger the TV/Monitor is the worse some of the older games look, I had a issue with this as well when I got bigger screens in my gaming room. You can smooth out pixels by using a shader, those are usually supported on most emulators and most definitely supported on retroarch. I personally don't like retroarch because of how disgusting the owner Twinaphex is/was to other people, but it has, by far, best shaders available so I use it just because of that. I use HSM mega bezel with Duimons amazing console graphics. It's easy to install and has changed the way I game, I use it for every console I emulate in RA. You can also just use simple shaders like 2xSal, etc (usually in video/display setting in emu) and it will help smooth out the pixels. Be warned that what was posted above is still correct, playing a game that was made to run at 240x160 on a 1080+ screen will still show it's flaws. I posted a random screenshot of mega bezel in action with its default settings to see if it's what your looking for. You can customize it in a astounding amount of ways as well to get it looking just how you want.

Castlevania_ Aria of Sorrow-01.png

Hi, 

Thank you so much for the informations. I will try your proposal. Even if I don't know exactly how to do it yet 😁

1 minute ago, KingSlayer420 said:

It changes everything! once i installed it I never looked back, anybody that enjoys it as much as we do should say thanks to duimon and hsm in the threads, they really like that and are very nice to any new users. They spent some years doing all that and it shows. its nice to see a fellow mega bezel user, I feel it doesnt get the attention it deserves.

Yeah i interact with both duimon and hyperspacemadness on the batocera discord where im a mod. The packs are available in the built in downloader there and just work once you globally toggle them on. It's a bit more effort to set it up on Windows, but worth it.

13 minutes ago, ArmandVille said:

Is where an tutorial for beginners? 

Neil's link in his post should be all you need, if you need any help I would post in duimons/hsm thread for help instead of here if thats the route you want to go. I don't mod their discord like neil does, but I've followed their work for a few years now and can say FOR SURE they welcome new users with open arms.

I personally use HSM bezels on my PC and enjoy them quite a bit. Though I feel it should be said that HSM shaders (unless a recent update improved them) have a SIGNIFICANT performance impact and WILL cause the first time RetroArch starts to take considerably longer. The shaders also hit your graphics card FAR harder than most shaders. You won't get a much better visual experience than the stuff HSM is putting out, but you definitely need more juice behind them to get them to work than other shaders.

Ah sorry, i talk alot sometimes and forget to mention certain things. You are very correct, even with my beefy pc i still get a lag when loading games as it loads up the mega bezel. If you use the advanced presets and upscaling too it has a huge performance impact. Seems to put most of the load on my gpu so if you don't have a dedicated gpu i would imagine it would slow your pc to a crawl. Duimon made presets last year I think targeting slower and mid range pcs so people may or may not get to use the reflection stuff but can still use the other presets without reflection. Sometimes i forget that i have a nicer pc, I should mention that I use a high end gpu and i still get a small pause when booting. Especially dolphin, if im loading hd texture packs too it takes almost 15 secs. Small trade off in my opinion for how good it looks. Most games boot after a few secs for other cores. Thanks for noticing that c-beats, its not a good feeling to get all excited for something just to find out your pc isnt good enough to use it.

np @KingSlayer420. Wasn't insinuating you were attempting to mislead or anything. The shaders do make things look far better, just comes at a cost. For me the startup thing is noticeable but not the end of the world. Still starts up faster than any AAA title, but if you don't have the GPU to keep frames at 60+ not sure they worth it.

54 minutes ago, ArmandVille said:

Hello Together, 

I have installed the Bezel already but it works so slowly and the the programm crashed sometimes.

Is it a problem of hardware? Or does I need any further adjustments? 

Regards

Armand

image.png.669955bcc606025c73689af2f77077a4.png

Do you have a dedicated graphics card installed? If you don't I recommend using only presets from the "Lite" and "Standard" folders to see which one works best for you. "Advanced" presets have a steep performance hit if you don't have a strong enough pc to handle them. Sorry about that, I should have mentioned that yesterday. Do not worry though, you can always use the simple shaders and smooth out those pixels a bit for gba, snes, etc.

If you installed the mega bezel then you will have no issue doing the simple shaders. It's basically the same as you did before except you load a shader from a different folder. I'm going to start by assuming you already have the RA shaders pack downloaded, but just in case I'll write it out in case anybody else needs this in the future. Open Retroarch and go to "Online Updater", then "Update Slang Shaders", this will place all shader files from the libretro pack into the Retroarch "shaders" folder. Fire up a GBA game and then open the menu and do what you did before to load a shader, this time instead of trying to load mega bezel let's try one of the less intense shaders from the libretro pack. I can't remember what gba uses but it will be either shaders_slang, shaders_glsl, or shaders_cg folder. If you browse into a slang folder and it looks empty in RA then try one of the others until you see some files you can load.

I can recommend a few but shaders are a personal preference so you should try them out until you find one thats looks good to you. In the past for GBA i liked xsal, xbrz, and i think hqx. I could be wrong thats just from memory as I have used mega bezel for so long now. The shaders in those folders are far less intense on your pc, they should work fine with your specs above.

Once you find the perfect shader you can save a cfg so it loads on its own each time, either per game or per core if you like from within RA menu.

Edited by KingSlayer420