LaunchBox Community Forums

Custom NES covers

Johnnydement

image.thumb.png.ae8e698c2cdece102e3f8134f4b5767b.pngHi,

I love frontends, and specially Launchbox 🙃, but one of the things that bugs me is box selection, specially when each zone has a different layout… so I decided to start my custom box project with very little rules:

• Normally, I prefer original JP art, but it's not carved in stone.
  • Give as much space as possible for cover art.
  • I can't read Japanese, even if my life depends on it. So I want Latin characters; therefore, Western game logo (if it exists)
  • EU/US/JP Mixed System Logo
  • Developer

These rules are not set in stone and I decided to ignore them whenever I felt like it. Faxanadu is an example, as I dislike it's JP art, so I made a mix. Or Power blade 2, where I used fanart, as editing the original case art was too much work.

So I started with NES. These games may not be the best, but this set is a mix of the ones that I own, the ones that I like and the ones that are prequels for some other games in other sets. I curated a 100 games selection, but seems I'm missing one…

Therefore, it's up to you to decide what will be the 100th game completing the set.

you can get them individually also on deviantart, where I will be posting future sets also till they are completed like this one.

Johnnydement NES cases.zip

Edited by Johnnydement
Added image
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The images themselves are pretty well done and I enjoyed looking at them. The aspect ratio makes them hard to use them for anything in most drop in builds though. Also would bug me to not have all systems match if I found a theme that could make use of this ratio. Very much is an "all or none" decisions and there just isn't enough artwork to pick the "all" option unfortunately. If it brings you joy to make them I'd keep at it, if not drop them. Do it because you like it, not to please others.

• Thanks 1

They should be the same size of a nes jp box (unless I miss sized the first one 😅🙈)

I like that every system has its kind of box, what bugs me is having different sized inside the same system 🥲

Don't get me wrong, I did them for myself, and for myself, I'm not doing it again for SNES. 😅

I expected mot JP SNES games to be vertical (although just 2 of mines have that orientation), but they are not. That makes it way more complicated… I still have to decide whether I'll keep going or not because it's a lot of work, and TODAY I'm not feeling it worth.

Thanks for the kind words.