LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox not found

RavenDarhk

Hello,

Running:

LaunchBox 13.7

Windowas 11Pro (Everything current and up-to-date)

Running from external Drive

The problem:

Everything seemed to be working fine. The last thing I did in LaunchBox was to add Sega Saturn 2 nights ago. After which, all seemed well, I played some games to shut things down to sleep, and when I booted it back up I even played some more games. Then I come to get on in tonight and clicking my shortcuts does nothing. No error, just nothing. So, I open the Launchbox folder and click LaunchBox.exe: Error Window cannot find X:\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe, make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. So then, I clicked BigBox, same error. After BigBox I try and launch RetroArch (since it is all under the same root directory) and RetroArch opens without issue. If it is of any importance I did have to reset RetroArch config earlier in the evening because I couldn't get my controllers working properly, no idea if that is relevant.

"At this point, the reactors in my brain start going into meltdown."

The following events occurred in the order listed:

The first thing I do is reboot. Nothing changes.

Full shutdown. Nothing changes.

Reinstall 13.7 over the current. Error: Unable to execute file: X:\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe. Create Process  failed; Code 2. The system cannot find the file specified.

Try and run LaunchBox from a backup drive. Nothing changes.

Try changing the drive letters. Nothing Changes.

Remove BitDefender AntiVirus Software and reboot: Nothing changes.

"Now reactors have started to blow, I am having a mini-Chornobyl in my head!"

My next step is to install LaunchBox on the main hard drive, but I don't want it there and if that fixes it, due to space, everything else would have to stay external. So I decided that I needed to reach out for help at this point.

thank you

R.D.

2023-10-09_04-31-09.png

2023-10-09_05-39-48.png

In that first pic you have LB for some reason installed to \Launchbox\Launchbox folder. When you did a reinstall its likely that is when that occurred. It just needs to be \Launchbox. 

Open the \Launchbox folder and see if you have another Launchbox folder inside it. If so that is likely the issue and causing the conflict. Remove that subfolder. 

No, it is referring to the .exe file in the LaunchBox root. If it were doubled up it would be X:\LaunchBox\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe. I did check that between back up drive and changing drive letter, and there is no double LaunchBox folder. I attached an image of the root LB folder. Thanks for the prompt response though, appreciate that :)

2023-10-09_06-59-28.png

19 minutes ago, RavenDarhk said:

No, it is referring to the .exe file in the LaunchBox root. If it were doubled up it would be X:\LaunchBox\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe. I did check that between back up drive and changing drive letter, and there is no double LaunchBox folder. I attached an image of the root LB folder. Thanks for the prompt response though, appreciate that :)

2023-10-09_06-59-28.png

Ah crap...too early in the AM for me. My eye saw double \Launchbox\Launchbox and completly skipped the .exe piece 😵‍💫. If you click on the Launchbox.exe in the \core folder does it launch? If memory serves me correct that is the true exe in the core folder. Seems like a link broken between the two. 

If you have a premium license does BB launch? 

@RavenDarhk Sounds like you may have had an overzealous AV get in the way of the 13.7 install. First step I'd take is to run the installer again over your existing install (making sure you aren't pointing it to the \\LaunchBox\LaunchBox folder @Retro808 is referring to) and see if that corrects the issue. I'd take a look in the \\LaunchBox\Core\ and make sure that you have both a LaunchBox and BigBox .exe and .dll file. The error reads like one of those 4 files are missing which typically happens when an AV quarantines the files.

I have tried launching through the core folder which yields the same error message. BigBox also gives the same error message. 

Totally removing the anti-virus was the last thing that I tried as mentioned above and then tried to launch and redo the installation but the results did not change. Even removed when reinstalling I get: Error: Unable to execute file: X:\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe. Create Process  failed; Code 2. The system cannot find the file specified.

I just went into the core folder to check and the .exe and .dll files do exist for both LB and BB.

I am still trying things on my end also. I am about to reboot and see if LaunchBox can be accessed from another user account on Windows. If that fails then I will install launchbox on my C drive (just to see if the problem persists). If that ends in failure, then my next steps would be to restore a backup, and if the issue is still there do a total refresh of the PC. (The last 2 options I really don't want to do). 

**Update**

Just to keep everyone in the loop. I did try it from another user account and I still had the same issue and was unable to launch LB.

I tried to install on my C drive and before the installation could complete I received the same error: Unable to execute file: X:\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe. Create Process  failed; Code 2. The system cannot find the file specified.

My next step is to restore a backup I made a couple of days ago. Then do a refresh of the PC. I would prefer avoiding these two options for obvious reasons. So, I am going to get on console and play Staarfield, and take a break. Hopefully, someone thinks of something.

If I click the uninstall file in the LB root folder, will it remove all folders within the LB root or  will it just delete the files that are LB? That is another option there is just a lot in there that I cant lose.