LaunchBox Community Forums

After a recent update opening settings crashes LB (I tried deleting the settings XML)

Kozar

As the title says, clicking the settings option crashes lunchbox. I have a premium license and get the beta updates. I know beta updates can have issues so maybe I will end up switching that off, but for now I have to fix my install. I have spent many years and a lot of time with lunchbox. I've meticulously added genres to games, sorted, organized, categorized and curated images. I've added custom images and much more. Losing all my play times or play counts or anything would be a huge blow. Do I have any options besides totally starting over with a fresh install? Say it aint so. I also have tons of diff versions of games and additional apps as well, plus over 800 games. Having to redo file paths would also be a nightmare. I've tried moving the settings.xml file out of data as I have seen this fix the issue for some people. I was going to open it with notepad++ and use it to recreate all my settings (If I can avoid this that would be amazing) but it didnt even fix the problem. Still crashes. I am thankful for any help I can get.

1 hour ago, Kozar said:

As the title says, clicking the settings option crashes lunchbox. I have a premium license and get the beta updates. I know beta updates can have issues so maybe I will end up switching that off, but for now I have to fix my install. I have spent many years and a lot of time with lunchbox. I've meticulously added genres to games, sorted, organized, categorized and curated images. I've added custom images and much more. Losing all my play times or play counts or anything would be a huge blow. Do I have any options besides totally starting over with a fresh install? Say it aint so. I also have tons of diff versions of games and additional apps as well, plus over 800 games. Having to redo file paths would also be a nightmare. I've tried moving the settings.xml file out of data as I have seen this fix the issue for some people. I was going to open it with notepad++ and use it to recreate all my settings (If I can avoid this that would be amazing) but it didnt even fix the problem. Still crashes. I am thankful for any help I can get.

Launchbox keeps backup settings so you might try going back to date for the XML files where you know it worked.  The zip files are here:  ....\LaunchBox\Backups

You can use LB menu to restore via Tools, File Management, Restore Data Backup.  If for some reason it is crashing before you can get to menu to restore you can manually open the zip files which have the individual XML files as of the backup date. 

22 hours ago, sundogak said:

Launchbox keeps backup settings so you might try going back to date for the XML files where you know it worked.  The zip files are here:  ....\LaunchBox\Backups

You can use LB menu to restore via Tools, File Management, Restore Data Backup.  If for some reason it is crashing before you can get to menu to restore you can manually open the zip files which have the individual XML files as of the backup date. 

I went back close to a year and nothing. Still crashes. Is there any way at all to reinstall without losing any of my stuff?

6 minutes ago, Kozar said:

I went back close to a year and nothing. Still crashes. Is there any way at all to reinstall without losing any of my stuff?

Does it only crash when you try to access the options? 

Go into your \Updates folder it should contain all the installer from prior version you used. Just run the one you want. You can run it over top the existing install it will not affect setting or games/media. Just make sure to confirm it is installing to a \Launchbox folder and not \Launchbox\Launchbox.

Can you try the steps C-Beats mentions in this thread and post the logs. Might be helpful to the team. 

19 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Does it only crash when you try to access the options? 

Go into your \Updates folder it should contain all the installer from prior version you used. Just run the one you want. You can run it over top the existing install it will not affect setting or games/media. Just make sure to confirm it is installing to a \Launchbox folder and not \Launchbox\Launchbox.

Can you try the steps C-Beats mentions in this thread and post the logs. Might be helpful to the team. 

Only when I access the options (to be clear it doesn't "crash" it freezes and hangs forever, forcing me to close with task manager). And okay, I'll try these things. I'm just hesitant to start installing old versions and stuff. I dont want to mess everything up more or lose settings I changed back when I was able to. The only thing I cant do in launchbox as far as I can tell is access the options menu. I can access every other type of menu and every importer etc. The weird thing is deleting my settings xml didnt fix this. Launchbox even built a fresh XML and everything, but it still crashes when I open options.

Edited by Kozar

1 hour ago, Kozar said:

Only when I access the options (to be clear it doesn't "crash" it freezes and hangs forever, forcing me to close with task manager). And okay, I'll try these things. I'm just hesitant to start installing old versions and stuff. I dont want to mess everything up more or lose settings I changed back when I was able to. The only thing I cant do in launchbox as far as I can tell is access the options menu. I can access every other type of menu and every importer etc. The weird thing is deleting my settings xml didnt fix this. Launchbox even built a fresh XML and everything, but it still crashes when I open options.

You will not mess anything installing an older version. Countless users have done it. I do it at least 3 or 4 times a week on my test build troubleshooting when users say one version is messing up but a prior version did not do it. 

If you have a fear just copy your \Data folder but LB already makes a backup of it anyway. 

40 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You will not mess anything installing an older version. Countless users have done it. I do it at least 3 or 4 times a week on my test build troubleshooting when users say one version is messing up but a prior version did not do it. 

If you have a fear just copy your \Data folder but LB already makes a backup of it anyway. 

Thanks! That reassuring. Ill report back tomorrow after I try.