LaunchBox Community Forums

Game pictures not showing and other questions

Vlahka

My mistake, totally forgot the earlier message.  I probably shouldnt work on this at 4am as I keep forgetting simple things.  Thanks heaps for all the help.  I think I should be good for now.  I'm getting close to importing other systems sooon so lets see how I do on my own :)

• Game On 1

Ok so that didnt last long..  I'm sadly going to need a little help with CHD files.  I've looked about on the net but maybe I'm missing something obvious.  I grabbed about 80 titles I was interested in that were listed in the CHD games section of launchbox that dont work.  I placed them into the games directory and ran a tools-rom search.  My first issue is it only picks up 21 of those.   The file names seem to be correct so I'm not sure whats happening, though I didnt check all of them.  The other thing is after it scans and adds them, the game listed in the CHD Required section, if I try to launch it nohting happens.  Like the screen will go black for a split second like it was about to load but then exits instantly.  So I'm not sure whats wrong.

6 hours ago, Vlahka said:

ran a tools-rom search.  My first issue is it only picks up 21 of those.   The file names seem to be correct so I'm not sure whats happening, though I didnt check all of them.

When you placed them in the games directory, were they [about] 80 folders named after the 'short name' of the game(s)?   

Does the games directory contain the about 80 short_name.zip files associated with those CHD folders?  

6 hours ago, Vlahka said:

if I try to launch it nohting happens. 

Do they work when you try to launch it directly from within MAME?

I noticed that I needed the rom files from the original game zip to be in the folder with the CHD file.  So I tested 1 game and once I did that Mame loaded the game.  But launchbox still wont.  I double checked the pathway and rescanned it.  Doesnt seem to like something.

35 minutes ago, Vlahka said:

I noticed that I needed the rom files from the original game zip to be in the folder with the CHD file.  So I tested 1 game and once I did that Mame loaded the game.  But launchbox still wont.  I double checked the pathway and rescanned it.  Doesnt seem to like something.

What file is the game pointing to (in LaunchBox)?

50 minutes ago, Vlahka said:

I've changed it a few times.  First it was a zip file with the rom and chd files in them.  Then I had it going to a folder that had the chd file selected with the roms inside it too.

Don't combine the ROM and the CHD into 1 zip file.  Don't put the ROM and CHD inside the same folder.  Don't tell LaunchBox to launch the CHD file.  (You can, but then you'd have to change your MAME emulator settings in LaunchBox and it will screw up the rest of the [non-CHD] Arcade games)

Using Big Buck Hunter as an example: 

• In the folder that you have all your MAME Arcade ROMs (all the .zip files for the Arcade games you're using to launch from LaunchBox) there should a file named "bbh.zip" (the ROM file).  (this file is included with your MAME full set ROMs) 
  • You also need to have in this folder "iteagle.zip" which is the BIOS file required for all the Big Buck Hunter series games. (this file is included with your MAME full set ROMs) 
  • In this same folder, you should have placed the (sub)folder for the CHD.  This subfolder should be named "bbh" and contains the (one) file "bbh_v1.00.14.chd"
  • Direct LaunchBox to the ROM file 

Make sure these are in place and try launching it again.  If it still doesn't work, please provide the following:

In LaunchBox,

1. Edit your MAME emulator and share a screenshot of the Default section.
  2. Edit the game in question and share a screenshot of the Launching section.

Ok got it working.  Seems my issue was in my game folder I didnt have the folders of the chd files.  Instead in the game folder I had another folder called chd files and inside that were the folders of the chd games.   This is my slightly ocd brain trying to be orderly.  All looks fine.  I should ask, though its probably nothing to do with launchbox, but quite a few of these chd games are lightgun games.  Do I configure the controls in mame to use mouse for these or is there a different method?

And this is a side question that I dont expect anything, I've seen online people using VR headsets to play lightgun games.  Are you familiar with this and how would I go about it?  As in is it something I'd look for in launchbox or a pc/mame setting thing?

56 minutes ago, Vlahka said:

quite a few of these chd games are lightgun games.  Do I configure the controls in mame to use mouse for these or is there a different method?

Glad you got it working.  By default, your mouse (and arrow keys [ugh]) should work as [aiming] a light gun in MAME.

57 minutes ago, Vlahka said:

And this is a side question that I dont expect anything, I've seen online people using VR headsets to play lightgun games.  Are you familiar with this and how would I go about it?  As in is it something I'd look for in launchbox or a pc/mame setting thing?

I've never even seen in real life a VR headset.  Not even in a box, at the store.  Though I do have some red and blue lens 'glasses'. :D

Oh yes, those glasses are perfect!  The 80s swears by them! :D

I've noticed I have roms for a game called Shikigami no shiro.  It works fine.  But theres a sequel to it that I've grabbed but everytime I try to get launchbox to notice it, it sees nothing.  I have the rom and the chd file in their own areas like the rest.  I'm not sure if maybe one of them is named wrong or something.  The chd file is named gdl-0021.chhd, and thats in a folder called Shikgam2.  The rom is named the same as the folder.  Is there something else I should be checking?

30 minutes ago, Vlahka said:

But theres a sequel to it that I've grabbed but everytime I try to get launchbox to notice it, it sees nothing.  I have the rom and the chd file in their own areas like the rest.  I'm not sure if maybe one of them is named wrong or something.  The chd file is named gdl-0021.chhd, and thats in a folder called Shikgam2.  The rom is named the same as the folder.  Is there something else I should be checking?

Does the game work when you launch it directly from MAME?  ALWAYS check that 1st.

As far as importing it into LB, Tools - Import - Manually Add Game.  Type in the name "Castle Shikigami 2" and search the database.   When found, you can look in the Alternate Names section and (if you want to) change the name as you want to see it in LaunchBox (select one if the options listed and click "Set Selected Name...").  In the Launching section, point directly to the ROM file.

To run the game (if it'll even run well) you'll also need the BIOS and 3 Device files.

NAOMIGD.ZIP    BIOS
MIE.ZIP    DEVICE
JVS13551.ZIP    DEVICE 
SEGADIMM.ZIP    DEVICE

Excellent!  This manual adding is exactly what I needed.  Game runs pretty good although the sound is a little glitchy for some reason.  Are there ways of fixing/improving something like this with settings?  I couldnt test it in mame since it cant see the game.  But it cant see the first one either which launchbox picks up no problem and plays fine.

45 minutes ago, Vlahka said:

Game runs pretty good although the sound is a little glitchy for some reason.

The sound is glitchy probably because the BIOS holds the emulation status of "preliminary".  Hence my comment "if it'll even run well".

Shikigami no Shiro II / The Castle of Shikigami II

image.png.2b288094a1c0a37efad3f9112c3a2b8d.png

Since this game uses Sega NAOMI GD-ROM, you might be able to run it[?] [better?] with Demul.

Thanks for the link, didnt know about this site.  I also tried out demul.  Took a little to get it working and my folders are an absolute mess of bios file experiments, but its working.  The game runs perfect in this!  I'll have to look into what other naomi games dont run well with mame and check this one.

• Game On 1

Couple questions.  I checked that site for the first Shikigami no Shiro game and noticed it says graphics imperfect.  I've got this issue with it where theres horizontal lines going across the screen like a step ladder, each section sems to be slightly different tone in colour.  It only does this when the vehicle is high on the map and not low.  I guess its a weird cloud type filter or something.  Do you know if theres any other emulator that plays it well like demul does for the sequel?

My other question is about demul.  When I click for a game to launch, unlike with mame where the game automatically starts, demul just opens up as a window and I need to manually tell it to open the game.  Is there a setting I've missed or string of code I'm supposed to put somewhere to make it auto launch with the game in launchbox or demul itself.  And will this behaviour be similar to other emulators I tie in with launchbox.

Edited by Vlahka

1 hour ago, Vlahka said:

Do you know if theres any other emulator that plays it well like demul does for the sequel?

Getting a little off topic here.  But if Demul can play the sequel, chances are it can play the 1st one too.  I haven't tried either one. 

1 hour ago, Vlahka said:

My other question is about demul.  When I click for a game to launch, unlike with mame where the game automatically starts, demul just opens up as a window and I need to manually tell it to open the game.  Is there a setting I've missed or string of code I'm supposed to put somewhere to make it auto launch with the game in launchbox or demul itself.  And will this behaviour be similar to other emulators I tie in with launchbox.

Different emulators are going to have different, the same (or similar) or no command line parameters. Will depend on the specific emulator. 

Not that I mind helping, but I think it's time you go into research mode.  Try a Google search for LaunchBox Demul (keeping the search terms simple).  For this inquiry, I'd start with the YouTube results that are from Unbroken Software, LLC (aka: the people that brought you LaunchBox).   Next would be to only click results from the LaunchBox forums (depending on what it is you're searching for/about).

In the link I gave, there are tons of "videos to eat breakfast by".  You'll find how-to videos for setting, using and navigating LaunchBox/BigBox as well as a plethora of videos for installing emulators to use in LaunchBox. 

Once you've exhausted your research and get stuck on something specific, add a reply on that [related] forum thread (keeping things on the same topic) or start a new thread.  Probably don't post a question on a YouTube video page.  That'll get lost real fast. ;) 

Ok thanks for the link!  I've usually tried to look around before asking but this link you gave should help me greatly.  Though before I run off into madness, I've noticed some places talking about visual pinball.  I've played with this emulator years back but I dont see an option to add it from the emulator choices in launchbox.  Just quickly, is this a good emulator to use with launchbox or is there a different preferred one thats better suited to launchbox?  They're probably all the same but felt I should ask anyway.

1 hour ago, Vlahka said:

I've noticed some places talking about visual pinball.  I've played with this emulator years back but I dont see an option to add it from the emulator choices in launchbox.  Just quickly, is this a good emulator to use with launchbox or is there a different preferred one thats better suited to launchbox?  They're probably all the same but felt I should ask anyway.

Visual Pinball is proprietary as to running tables made for it.  From the immortal words of Highlander, "There can be only one."   There are other pinball emulators like Future Pinball and Pinball FX/FX2/FX3... if you prefer the 'eye candy'.  But no tables are interchangeable between different pinball emulators.

Any program you can run from the Windows command prompt can be ran from, and added to LaunchBox.  Visual Pinball included.  Probably what you've seen when adding a platform to LB is that it has some preconfigured settings to help with getting them setup.  Including download links to the emulators and filling in the default command line parameters for you.  It obviously can't include every possible emulator.  But it doesn't stop you from adding in your own.

Tools - Manage - Emulators - Add New Emulator    then just fill in the blanks.

The reason Visual Pinball isn't listed with preconfigured settings is because the full and proper setup is not an easy process to automate.  It's not difficult to do.  Just a pita to programmatically automate a proper installation.  There are 'extras' (though not required) that are necessary to have it work 'like you think it should work'.  Also, the emulator can require some manual setup depending on your system.  Lastly, the LB developers believe that "every" table has to be customized (individually) before they can even run.  This is only true in part.  But all these are a drawback when wanting to provide something usable out-of-the-box.

Bottom line, there are a lot of nuances to doing a complete and proper setup.  

That said, I have Visual Pinball (VPX) installed on my cab and running through LaunchBox, without issue.  If that is your goal, like ALL emulators, make sure things work to your liking BEFORE you bring it into LaunchBox.  By the way, VPX is my go-to when wanting to play anything on the cab. 😎

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Vlahka said:

I've finally completed my Mame arcade set after struggling my way slowly through it.  And now I have a new question :)

I went to add in my amiga collection and its at the point where I want to select an emulator to import it with.  I did it earlier, entered in FS-UAE as I think that seems to be the best one to use, it accepted it but then I cancelled because I wanted to move the folder elsewhere before importing.  A backup if you will as I'm a paranoid person.  Anyway I did it again but this time it doesnt seem to want the emulator.  I lead it to the path where the executable is and I get this message-

I'm not sure what I'm not seeing since it did work the first time.

It is talking about the "Associated Platforms" tab. Anytime you add a new emulator you need to add which platform or platforms in LB will use it. Just click the Associated Platforms tab and type in the name of your platform. It must match exactly what you named the platform in LB.

• Thanks 1