LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't get Launchbox to start retroarch in windowed mode

alexeon

I want launchbox to launch retroarch windowed.  Retroarch is setup for windowed and when I open it by itself it is in windowed mode, but when I launch a game through launchbox it goes straight to fullscreen.  I have checked the emulator command line parameters and there is nothing telling it to go to fullscreen.  I have even tried adding -windowed and -sw and neither one worked.   I wouldn't really care, but my monitor seems to have issues with emulators and fullscreen mode.   Every so often the monitor will just go black for 5 - 10 seconds like its resetting or something, and also when closing out of a game for whatever reason everything is dimmed in windows and I have to restart to make it look normal again.  None of this happens when I just use retroarch in windowed mode.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am running Windows 11 btw if that makes any difference.

Edited by alexeon

14 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

When editing RetroArch in LaunchBox, look at the Command-line Parameters in the Associated Platforms section.  Those will take precedence over the command-line parameters in the Details section.  Specifically, you're looking for -f

Thank you, that fixed it.  Didn't even think to look there

• Game On 1

• 1 month later...

To clarify the answer above for anyone else who comes upon this (because it confused me at first):  LaunchBox for some reason has the "-f" parameter attached automatically (sneakily) to all the platforms supported by RetroArch, and that setting is probably not where you expect it.

As JoeViking said, you have to go to  Tools>Manage>Emulators, double click Retroarch, then go to the "Associated platforms" tab. There you will see "-f" listed next to every platform, and you can remove it there.

I probably spent over an hour trying to figure this out, and I don't think I would have without coming across this post. Seems like it might have been better to let people control this option through the usual, more obvious channels, by default eg, via the in-game RA settings or showing this parameter in the main RA settings inside launchbox.