LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox MAME not working right.

DaveC1964

I have the paid version.  I am using Retroarch 2003 set.  I am running on an Odin 2 Max with 16 GB RAM so memory isn't the issue.  Some games are missing in the box grid.  None of the games launch when I select them.  It just goes to a black screen and locks up.  It then gives me the standard "app not responding - close" error.  If I go into retroarch and select a game, even one missing in the list it works fine so it is not a MAME ROM version mismatch issue.  Any ideas or what is going on?

Edited by DaveC1964

On 12/1/2023 at 11:54 PM, DaveC1964 said:

It just says

default emulator= Retroarch

Default Core =  mamearcade_libretro_android.so

There is not much else there. 

One issue I see right there is that the core is not pointing to the mame 2003 core. You can select it from the core list.

You'll also want to make sure Extract ROM Archives is turned off.

I think the game names now match better (I re-imported games) but it still goes to a black screen and locks up when I select a game.  Still no work.

Says:

default emulator= RetroArch

Default Core =  mame2003_libretro_android.so

Any ideas?  Again it works fine if I load through Retroarch.

(BTW other systems like Lynx, Intellivision, etc all work fine just not MAME.)

Edit: a few games in MAME do work.  Most do not.  It is not due to a mismatched/wrong ROM version because if I load the same ROM in same core RA directly it does work.

Edited by DaveC1964

On 12/6/2023 at 9:17 PM, DaveC1964 said:

I think the game names now match better (I re-imported games) but it still goes to a black screen and locks up when I select a game.  Still no work.

Says:

default emulator= RetroArch

Default Core =  mame2003_libretro_android.so

Any ideas?  Again it works fine if I load through Retroarch.

(BTW other systems like Lynx, Intellivision, etc all work fine just not MAME.)

Edit: a few games in MAME do work.  Most do not.  It is not due to a mismatched/wrong ROM version because if I load the same ROM in same core RA directly it does work.

Have you figured this out?  I have the same problem with my Odin 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just came here to post about this.

I have RA and the cores setup and working right (Mame2003_plus) perfectly with Daijisho launcher on my Odin Pro. However, with LB, it finds and scraps the games correctly (from what I can tell) but when running a game, I just get a black screen and nothing else. I've tried different cores, and even different emulators just in case it's that, but I can't get any of them to work. My ROM set is the 2003+ set and works everywhere else, on my PC and other handhelds (MiyooMini+, RGB30), all through RA and even, as I mentioned on my Odin Pro with Daijisho but not with LB for some reason. All other systems works perfectly, it's just MAME that's having the issue. All cores are installed and work manually through RA too, the issue with when launching them through LB.

Is there a particular ROM set that works with RA Android or should any? Would anyone recommend a different set anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MancVandal

• 1 month later...

Just to add another voice to this. 

Nvidia Shield (2019) with a 256gb USB3 flash drive mounted as internal storage
Launchbox 1.12
Full 2003 Mame Romset (Non-merged)
Tried both the version of Retroarch that Launchbox installs and 64bit Sideloaded
Tried multiple cores on both versions of RA
Extract ROM content is unchecked

No issues with importing (which I've done multiple times)
No issues launching directly from Retroarch (either version) directly

Launching arcade games through LB gives the black screen. All other platforms work perfectly.

Edit: I may have just fixed it, at least for myself.

I deleted my existing Arcade list in Launchbox (choosing not to delete media or games)
I then reimported the games, but this time did NOT use the "this is a full MAME romset"
Using retroarch (installed by LB) with mame2003_plus_libretro_android.so and my games loaded.
Switched to Retroarch (64bit Sideloaded) with the mame2003_plus_libreto_android.so and again things loaded.

If I use the mamearcade_libretro_android.so with Retroarch (ie loaded through LB) or Sideload, I get the blackscreen crash again.

So in my case there seem to have been two factors in play. Firstly the core, for my Romset had to be mame2003_plus_libretro_android.so
However, as listed in my initial post, I had tried that before, which leads me to the second factor - possibly an issue with the "Full Romset" import feature?

I'm 99% confident my set is full - while I won't say where it came from, lets just say its a trusted archive. The only thing I didnt do was move CHD folders in to my ROM folder, but when doing the import using the Full import feature, I told it to skip CHD games anyway.

Hope that helps someone.

Edited by furbs
  • Thanks 1