LaunchBox Community Forums

where to download roms safely

Bullfrog2099

I've watch a few videos on downloading roms but question all downloads I come across thinking it could be a virus. I've been directed to websites such as Internet archive and Arcade data base, Are any files downloaded at either one of these safe? Is the Torrent download of roms safe? Where do you guys download roms? I'm looking for mostly neo geo and arcade roms merged and unmerged single game roms ,thx!

My Opinion is that there is never really a "safe" way to download anything online, however I have never had any issue with archive.org. I could be wrong, but I believe that they pre scan any file that is uploaded.

It's probably against the rules to provide any other links or elaborate where to get roms from so I'm not getting into that, but Google is your friend. I know it mentioned elsewhere on here so I'm just going to mention to google MAME Pleasuredome for the MAME arcade set, same for HBMAME. Neo Geo roms are in the full MAME set.

If all you want is Arcade which would include Neo Geo go to Pleasuredome. Google Pleasuredome io and their git is the first result. Get the Mame rom set from them. Import those and let LB create the arcade playlists and it will make the SNK Neo Geo playlist for you. Don’t mess with a separate Neo Geo rom set. Easiest way to get things going. 

4 minutes ago, Retro_Rage said:

My Opinion is that there is never really a "safe" way to download anything online, however I have never had any issue with archive.org. I could be wrong, but I believe that they pre scan any file that is uploaded.

It's probably against the rules to provide any other links or elaborate where to get roms from so I'm not getting into that, but Google is your friend. I know it mentioned elsewhere on here so I'm just going to mention to google MAME Pleasuredome for the MAME arcade set, same for HBMAME. Neo Geo roms are in the full MAME set.

Retro-Rage, I would agree about not saying anything is a 100 percent safe. That said, I like the confirmation that archive.org is safer than most. Yeah, ill try the google search for "MAME Pleasuredome" and "HBMAME". Thanks man! 

Right on, thank you Retro808 for that! I like LB tip for making things easier for sure

5 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

If all you want is Arcade which would include Neo Geo go to Pleasuredome. Google Pleasuredome io and their git is the first result. Get the Mame rom set from them. Import those and let LB create the arcade playlists and it will make the SNK Neo Geo playlist for you. Don’t mess with a separate Neo Geo rom set. Easiest way to get things going.