LaunchBox Community Forums

Fresh reinstall on my cab, Ive forgotten alot, question about bezels,scanline and curved glass filters, xinput support. Im a noob again =(

deezdrama

Long story short, Built my 4 player cab in 2015 using hyperspin which was a nightmare but worked great when done....

Somewhere around 2019 I set the cab on my enclosed porch for the winter and mice got inside and destroyed the pc, the cab sat for a couple years and was going to get rid of it but decided instead to fully gut it and start over.

Jan 2021.....Deep cleaned inside and out, fully gutted, found splits in the side panels that were furniture grade pine, injected glue/clamped/braced/painted, completely rewired the cab, new marquee lights, installed bottom and rear led flood lighting, installed diamond kick plate, bought and installed all rbg ultimarc micro goldleafs(love em), two pacLED64 boards, rewired ipac4, rebuilt my sanwa jlfs with longer shafts, oversized actuators,10lb springs, bat tops, cherry switches, oct gates, modded the 4 stick bores to accept rgb lighting, made custom clear dustwashers, new LG IPS monitor, built a better pc with parts I had, on and on.....

Older i5 with 16gb ddr3, 1tb ssd, 8tb hdd, gtx 1060 gb.... Started with a fresh install of win10 pro, I thought putting windows, and all the artwork and preview vids on the ssd would make it snappy, all roms were on the 8tb hdd.....

Had everything setup the way I wanted, short vid of it in action here...

It took forever to integrate ledblinky and write all my custom animation scripts but the end result was awesome. Sadly it only lasted for about a year.

Sometime in late 2022 I connected the pc to the net to download a new bigbox theme and shortly after the system was laggggy as hell and got progressively worse. Im talking 3-5 min windows boot times, 3-5 min bigbox launch times. Video previews were laggy, games took 30sec to a minute to launch. It made you never want to even turn the cab on so I barely used it. I just moved to a bigger house and have a dedicated gameroom that I want to add some 1up cabs to but figure I need to get this cab going first.

I tried literally everything to troubleshoot the PC. Monitored task manager, system restore, update drivers, remove updates, install updates, run memtest86 to check ram, run crystaldisk to check drives, cpu stress tests..... nothing would indicate a issue or solve it.

I have a huge collection of original consoles, along with a mister fpga so decided I just want MAME on this cab and everything on the SSD..... Getting fedup- I decided to start over, Fresh win10 pro install, disabled updates. I just renewed my bigbox license with a lifetime license, Installed drivers, runtimes, etc... Just installed newest launchbox, luckily my ledblinky animations are still working since I backed up the ledblinky folder. So currently I have launchbox installed and just imported and filtered my .228 mame roms and am left with a few questions....

Bezels.... So when I ran the import wizard I chose .228 mame romset, pointed to my roms on my 8tb drive, I chose to download boxart, screenshots, and vid previews from the LB database along with linking to my emumovies account, but then it asked if I wanted to install/download bezel artwork and I thought how cool it was to have that option integrated in the wizard, I selected yes and chose to prioritize the game bezels.... I let launchbox scrape all the artwork and vids overnight and this morning it was finished. I launched a few mame games but no bezels are loading. What do I have to do to get the bezels to show?

Scanlines/CRT shaders...... One of the coolest things I liked about CoinOps when testing it was the default bezels/scanline filter/and curved CRT screen filter. They really looked good on my monitor and Im not a huge fan of alot of the shaders but the CoinOps Atarsharii build really nailed it with the CRT cab/bezel/tube look. How do I get the bezels to show and enable filters to get a similar look?

XINPUT..... So when playing around with CoinOps I had to download the latest firmware for my IPAC4 that enabled mode-changing so I could launch my ipac in xinput mode to work easier with coinops..... It was cool how plug and play CoinOps was but ultimately xinput lacks support for LEDblinky and I dumped alot of money on controls for the cab so I decided to come back to Bigbox and just bought the lifetime license.

So my plan is to run the ipac4 in keyboard mode the majority of the time for this simple MAME/bigbox cab but I do want to add a few steam games like shredders revenge,bro force, some mortal kombats, etc..... for those games Ill have to switch my ipac4 into xinput mode and Im wondering how that will work. I dont care if the LEDblinky functionality is lost while im playing a random steam game here and there but when I exit the game will bigbox menus still be able to be navigated while in xinput mode or will I have to switch the ipac4 back into keyboard mode? Will bigbox freak out while running if I switch back and forth between keyboard and xinput mode on the ipac4?

Thats about all the questions I have right now, Sorry for the long winded post.... Setting the cab up is kind of overwhelming when you dont mess with it for a long time. I hope I can get it running stable and that it stays that way this time. Thanks!!

Regarding the Xinput that REALLY isn't needed ever if you don't want to, especially if the PC games are all via Steam. Just run Steam Input and it'll translate the keyboard to Xinput for you. You could also use an app like x360ce and create a virtual xbox controller using your key inputs and then tell the games to use that.

• Like 1