LaunchBox Community Forums

Parsing Errors after updating to 13.10 - Unable to open

bh9578

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm on Windows 11. I haven't used LB in about 5 months, but it was working fine before. After opening, it prompted me to updated to 13.10 After doing so, I'm getting two parsing EntityName errors referencing lines 36 and 126 (see screenshots for specifics).

Screenshot2024-01-01231243.thumb.png.b245d6a16a79942d630259e8c691ff25.pngScreenshot2024-01-01231114.thumb.png.a7d98ffab79dca48602d65d2e8a860d8.png

The only related post I could find on this was from 3 years ago, I've quoted below what the admin suggested then. I don't think any of this applies to my situation. I did restore a backup from Macrium and it works if I don't click on the update to latest version, so this definitely has something to do with 13.10. If I try to reinstall that doesn't help either. I have LB installed to an internal drive, though it isn't the C drive in case that matters.

Post from 2021:

"Few things that may cause this type of issue:

• If you run LaunchBox off of an external drive, network drive, or any drive that is not formatted to NTFS or a comparable file system that is able to handle symlinks.
  • You don't own and/or have full permissions of the LaunchBox folder - You can check this by right clicking LaunchBox, choosing Properties, In the Security tab choose Advanced.
  • Running LaunchBox or Big Box as admin - elevated privileges (make sure you don't do this)
  • Hard drive data corruption could also cause this behavior - Open cmd (as an admin) and run an sfc /scannow command"
Edited by bh9578

I'd run the installer over your current build and see if that resolves. This error would indicate to me that something isn't being set correctly in the default theme's XAML files. This is typical if an install didn't go as planned or if you have those files set to Read-Only for some reason. First step would be to just run the installer into the same directory (make sure the installer isn't trying to install to a LaunchBox folder INSIDE of your LaunchBox folder). This has 0 risk of destroying any data and is safe to do. If that doesn't work go to your LaunchBox folder and make sure the LBThemes\Default folder properties has the Read-Only box empty (all white) and if not set it that way (with LaunchBox closed). If neither corrects let us know.

Hi, I did try several times to run the installer over my current build along with fresh builds and I made sure it's not installing LB within LB folder. The default folder containing the fonts is set to read only. Whenever I try to change it, it reverts to read-only. I've tried quite a few suggestions online but I can't get it to stay as non read only. After hitting apply it looks like it's not read only but as soon as I go back to properties the read only radio button is filled again. The TFF files within the sub folder are also quite tricky to delete. Windows seems to think they are system files that shouldn't be touched. Maybe that's why it won't let me change it from being read only.

I did try installing LB on my C drive and it actually works there. The default folder is set to read only there too and I can't change it as well. I'd ideally like this installed outside of the C drive, but I guess if there's no other way I can make do. I have full permission on all of my drives so I don't know why it isn't working on any non C drives. I even tried transferring the version working on the C drive to another drive and I get the same parsing error referencing the same lines.

Ok, I figured it out thanks to the link below (not sure how I missed this topic in my initial search). Putting the solution here in case anyone else has the misfortune of going through the same issue.

My Launchbox folder sat several folders deep within a root folder containing all of my retro gaming files for easy backup. LB is just a small section of this. One of the parent folders in that path had an "&" and "_" symbols in the name. Removing these completely resolved my issue. This is why when I installed LB by itself on the C drive everything worked. All of my Macrium Reflect backups contained the entire folder structure, hence why they all failed even when switching drives. It had nothing to do with the drives, but rather, that one folder. I'm not sure why the previous version of LB didn't give me any hassle. It's possible that I settled on this naming structure after the latest install.

Thanks, C-Beats for your time helping.

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/71768-big-box-not-launching-getting-parsing-errors/