LaunchBox Community Forums

Games loading on wrong monitor.

MapleLeaf

I added a second monitor to my setup and whenever I load games from LaunchBox they load on my old 1080p monitor instead of my newer 1440p monitor. The 1440p monitor is set as my primary monitor in Windows, so I'd assume I need to change something in LaunchBox? 

7 hours ago, C-Beats said:

We don't explicitly tell any app to start on a specific screen, all that logic is driven by the game or emulator you are starting and so would need updating in that app's settings.

It's MAME. I've looked through the options and unless I've missed it, I don't see a way to change monitors. All I found yesterday before I posted here was ALT+ENTER which will allow me to manually move the window to my 1440p monitor, then I have to resize from there, but that's a bit tedious to do every time if I'm playing several games in one sitting. Should I post the same question elsewhere perhaps? 

56 minutes ago, MapleLeaf said:

It's MAME. I've looked through the options and unless I've missed it, I don't see a way to change monitors. All I found yesterday before I posted here was ALT+ENTER which will allow me to manually move the window to my 1440p monitor, then I have to resize from there, but that's a bit tedious to do every time if I'm playing several games in one sitting. Should I post the same question elsewhere perhaps? 

In your MAME.INI file you can force screen selection (assuming didn't use LB auto MAME setup):

#
# OSD PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS
#
screen                    \\.\DISPLAY1
aspect                    auto
resolution                auto
view                      auto

Also can launch MAME in verbose mode within command prompt and should see a list of what MAME believes to be your monitors and which is primary (my snip of output for 2 screens)

mame.exe -v

Video: Monitor 256319547 = "\\.\DISPLAY1" (primary)
Video: Monitor 477761167 = "\\.\DISPLAY2"

You shouldn't need to do this as the "screen" with no number tells MAME this is the default monitor. However, you can also indicate which screen (for two or more screen setup) is mapped to physical monitor based on verbose output above:

screen0                    \\.\DISPLAY1
aspect0                   auto
resolution0               auto
view0                     auto
screen1                    \\.\DISPLAY2
aspect1                   auto
resolution1               auto
view1                     auto

Edited by sundogak
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, sundogak said:

In your MAME.INI file you can force screen selection (assuming didn't use LB auto MAME setup):

#
# OSD PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS
#
screen                    \\.\DISPLAY1
aspect                    auto
resolution                auto
view                      auto

Also can launch MAME in verbose mode within command prompt and should see a list of what MAME believes to be your monitors and which is primary (my snip of output for 2 screens)

mame.exe -v

Video: Monitor 256319547 = "\\.\DISPLAY1" (primary)
Video: Monitor 477761167 = "\\.\DISPLAY2"

You shouldn't need to do this as the "screen" with no number tells MAME this is the default monitor. However, you can also indicate which screen (for two or more screen setup) is mapped to physical monitor based on verbose output above:

screen0                    \\.\DISPLAY1
aspect0                   auto
resolution0               auto
view0                     auto
screen1                    \\.\DISPLAY2
aspect1                   auto
resolution1               auto
view1                     auto

Ok a few things.

Is there a way to tell if I used "auto MAME setup" ? I configured LB quite a few years ago and I don't remember what I did. 

Secondly, I did get the first method to work, but instead of DISPLAY1, It's DISPLAY2 for some reason. *shrugs* 

I don't understand this verbose mode command prompt thing. Not sure how to find my monitors that way. 

Thanks for the help. 

Edited by MapleLeaf

11 hours ago, MapleLeaf said:

Ok a few things.

Is there a way to tell if I used "auto MAME setup" ? I configured LB quite a few years ago and I don't remember what I did. 

Secondly, I did get the first method to work, but instead of DISPLAY1, It's DISPLAY2 for some reason. *shrugs* 

I don't understand this verbose mode command prompt thing. Not sure how to find my monitors that way. 

Thanks for the help. 

1) the MAME setup within LB was relatively new feature so likely not the case. The auto install used a command line within LB that bypassed the ini files; but if you made changes to the INI and it worked then can ignore comment.

2) Not really sure why that is working but if gets you what want then all good.  Windows display numbers can be wonky and had in the past the "primary" monitor show up as #2 for listing.  I use a utility called UltraMon to help with things but not needed if you got it working.

3) Open a DOS command window and go to your directory where you MAME.exe is located.  Then type the command referenced.  Basically launching MAME via command window and outside of LB.