LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME - Can I install just a few Games?

Uselchen

Hello everyone,

I've been exploring the features related to MAME games. I have a question that I hope some of you might be able to help with.

While I'm interested in adding MAME games to my collection, I noticed that when I go to import games, there seems to be only an option to import the full MAME set. This has led me to wonder: is it possible to install only a select few MAME games instead of the entire set?

My preference is to add only specific titles that I'm interested in, rather than importing a large number of games that I might never play. Any guidance, tips, or shared experiences on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

greetings Dennis

Edited by Uselchen

Yes. You can either just select the game roms in Windows and drag and drop them into LB to begin the rom import process or in LB -Tools -Import -Rom Files then select the Files button and manually select the roms.

A few things to consider:

If you do not have the roms stored in the default Mame rom folder you will need to make sure you open Mame and update the rom folder location. You can do this either by manually editing the Mame.ini or just opening Mame exe without a game and navigate to the directories setting and manually select the folder path. 

If you donwload individual roms as opposed to a Full Mame rom set I would first make sure your roms work in Mame directly to ensure you have the needed support files.  

During import I would not have LB move the roms. Leave them in your original folder. Depending on the Mame set you have moving individual rom files out of a Mame set could break things. Leaving them in the Full Mame set folder negates the need to fuss over having a non-merged, merged, or split rom set. Just makes things easier. Also doing this way if you ever update the full mame set you do not really need to update anything in LB (Except in some rare instances of rom name change/removal).

You can add select zips from you MAME set and just import as normal roms however make sure you have a non-merged Mame set before splitting off any zips. The reason is because on merged sets the child roms depend on the parent roms. so if you split up the set you will probably break quite a few. Also, you would still need the bios and supporting files.

Just as an FYI, in the full MAME importer, there is options to skip importing certain game types that you wouldn't want. I probably wouldn't try splitting up the full set though unless it's a non-merged set.