LaunchBox Community Forums

Playtime resetting to zero for games

KaraiDan

Hello,

I'm using the latest version of Launchbox and I've noticed that sometimes when I launch a game the playtime and playcount resets to zero. I can't seem to reproduce this error, it seems to happen totally randomly, but only with games I'm currently playing. Games I played a while ago have their playtimes intact.

Is this a new bug? Anyone else experiencing the same?

3 hours ago, KaraiDan said:

Hello,

I'm using the latest version of Launchbox and I've noticed that sometimes when I launch a game the playtime and playcount resets to zero. I can't seem to reproduce this error, it seems to happen totally randomly, but only with games I'm currently playing. Games I played a while ago have their playtimes intact.

Is this a new bug? Anyone else experiencing the same?

Not sure if this is the case for you, but one common reason metadata seems to randomly change for users is when their data files have been altered outside of LaunchBox (like using third party programs that mess with those files). 

One way you can check this is by going into your LaunchBox\Data\Platforms folder, and make sure you only see 1 file for each of your platforms.

18 minutes ago, faeran said:

Not sure if this is the case for you, but one common reason metadata seems to randomly change for users is when their data files have been altered outside of LaunchBox (like using third party programs that mess with those files). 

One way you can check this is by going into your LaunchBox\Data\Platforms folder, and make sure you only see 1 file for each of your platforms.

Thanks.

I just checked and yeah, I only have 1 xml file per platform.

I'm seeing the exact same thing. I launch a game, spend any amount of time playing it and then exit. It shows my play count as (1) and how long I played the game. I click any other game and then come back to this one and its zeros across the board, like it completely forgot play time. No third party programs being used to mess with the data files, only one file for each platform showing.

Been having this happening more and more lately. I can't replicate the error and now it's creating random playtimes for games. My playtime for one Genesis game went from 16 hours to 2:30 randomly. This feature is utterly broken at this point.

My Dreamcast/Phantasy Star Online playtime resetted just now. :(
Previously I had this playtime reset issue only when I played on my Steam Deck (with a Windows 11 install), but this was on my old notebook.

This issues happens since I use syncing with My Collections, so since I sync to Launchbox servers. I use multiple computers so this is really required for me. I just turn this off and sync to my own server as before, because this lost was really devastating for me. 😢

• 2 months later...

After 2 month, I can only confirm that beeing detached from Launchbox Sync server solved my problem, at least it seems that way. I never lost playtime before Launchbox server sync and I haven't lost any for 2 month, since I turned off this feature.

I simply sync my Data folder to my own server like in the old days and everything is fine.

I have also noticed game starts a bit smoother since I don't sync to Launchbox server. During that period game start sometimes was a bit slugghish, just slower enough to be noticed, I think about 0,5-1 second delay. When I noticed this extra game start time it was more likely to loose game time.

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2024 at 6:10 PM, faeran said:

So I had a look in my directory since I'm using a second scraper and I have a "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" and a "Super Nintendo Entertainment System.backup" files in my directory...

Which on is the one to keep?!

49 minutes ago, Mitoboru said:

So I had a look in my directory since I'm using a second scraper and I have a "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" and a "Super Nintendo Entertainment System.backup" files in my directory...

Which on is the one to keep?!

That one with the .backup should not be there. Remove it. It is not one made by LB. Skraper is known for backing up LB platforms data in that folder which is why we recommend either not using it or turning off the backup feature Skraper has. No other files except the ones LB generates should be kept in the \Data\Platforms folders. 

36 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

That one with the .backup should not be there. Remove it. It is not one made by LB. Skraper is known for backing up LB platforms data in that folder which is why we recommend either not using it or turning off the backup feature Skraper has. No other files except the ones LB generates should be kept in the \Data\Platforms folders. 

Thanks for the advice and the speedy response :)